CHAPTER 1: SYDNEY'S BAD NIGHT

As bad as tonight is going, maybe I should take it as a sign, that I should just forget about being a Police Officer, and I should just call my potential new Captain tomorrow, and tell him thank you so much for the offer, but no thanks.  

I am already nervous about it, and have been all week.  But now I'm really nervous and scared.

My last job was a disaster.  None of the officer's wanted me there. Well let's say that they didn't want me there as a cop or as a partner.  They made their feeling's clear from the first day, that they don't believe women should be or can be Police Officer's.  Most all of them were disgusting pigs, and jerks, with their sexual innuendo's, and their bullying tactics, trying to get me to quit. From having dead rats left inside my desk drawer, sexually disgusting notes left on my desk. Or all the times  trying to get me in trouble on cases, framing me, trying to blackmail me, they would fix it if I service them.

I hated to quit to give them the satisfaction that they won, so honestly when my captain called me into his office to let me know that he was sorry but he had to let me go, that even though he knew I was a great officer, and more than qualified, it was causing a problem with morale, and he couldn't afford to lose all the other officer's. I was actually relieved.

I have wanted to be a police officer for so long and was so excited when I got my first job, but now I'm just not sure that I can try again.

My captain felt bad and asked me what unit I would want to be in, and I told him I thought I was just going to quit, give up my dream.  He told me not to do that, and that he had an idea, he had to make a phone call with a friend of his, but he knows of a program that might be perfect for me.  

He made the phone call, and then explained to me one  of his friends, runs a precinct, and he would offer me the job on the spot, as he is down an officer, and with the good recommendation from him, the job was mine if I wanted it.

I thanked him and went to my car to drive away from this nightmare unit, was hit with so many emotions.  Sadness, remembering how excited I was on my first day, anger at having to leave because of male sexist pigs. Fear because I don't know that I have it in me to try again, with a new unit. 

Part of me wanted to just politely refuse the job.  I just don't think I can go through this again. Male sexist pigs.  The threats, the dirty innuendos. The bullying. I mean I already have had a crappy year, even before all that went down with my job.

My boyfriend Rob cheated on me.  Why guys cheat? I mean I guess they cheat so that they can have their cake and eat it too.  I haven't had  much luck when it comes to boyfriend's.  They all end up hurting me.  But I can't really compare the couple of guys that I dated, to Rob. As Rob was my only serious relationship.  I was so in love with him.  I fell for him the first day that we met. He said all the right things, making me believe how much he loved me, how he had never been in love before me, how his life was empty before he met me.  I thought he was the love of my life, the man of my dreams, my forever man, so I gave myself to him.  My biggest regret.

Rob has pretty much turned me off of all men. As far as I'm concerned, I will never date another man. I will just be alone the rest of my life. The only two good men in the world, are my father, and my brother.  Besides that all men are jerks.

You see, I didn't just lose my boyfriend and best friend Rob, I also lost my best girl friend, more like sister, we are cousins, but we grew up together, and I spent a lot of time living in her house with her, or her living with me and my brother and dad.

When I was a little girl, 10 years old, my mom died of cancer. The loss of my mom pretty much devastated me, my brother, and my father.  My mom's sister moved back to town, to help my dad out with me and my brother.  Whenever my dad had to go out of town for business, we would go stay with my aunt.