CHAPTER 49: BLINDSIDED

Tom's view:

What the hell have I just done.  I need to tell Sydney, but I guess I should think how the best way to tell her that she is going to have to marry me in a few weeks. News like that should be in person. Shouldn't it? I mean it might be easier to tell her over the phone, that way she can't get to me if she doesn't take this news well.  But as tempting as that is, she deserves to hear this face to face.

The door bell rings. Amari runs to the door.  I go and this time I look to make sure it's not Rob. It's Doug, and Harry. I open the door. If only I would have looked last time, we wouldn't be in this mess. Amari runs to them and wants petted. They bend down and pet him.

Harry said, "Hanson what's wrong with you."  I run my hands through my hair. 

Doug said, "Hanson you look pretty bad, what happened now."

I said, "that asshole Rob happened."

Harry said, "oh what did he do now. Just more of his asshole self."

I said, "Guys I need advice. I don't even know how to tell Sydney what I did. I mean she will understand though, once she calms down. Right, I mean she does know Rob's ego. She will understand why I did it."

I don't even realize that I am pacing, walking back and forth, until Doug gets up and puts his hand on my shoulder and says, "Hanson just sit down before you wear me out."  

Harry said, "tell us what happened, what did you do?"

I said, "I shouldn't have answered the door. I wasn't expecting it to be Rob. I didn't look, and it was Rob.  I wanted to wipe that smirk off his face so damn bad."

Doug said, "you hit him?"

I said, "yeah I had to when he popped off something about Sydney. Disrespecting her."

Harry said, "I don't think you need to worry. Sydney is not going to be upset that you hit him, it's just she worries he will try and get you in trouble."

I said, "no that's not it. He came over here to gloat, first he had to go on and on about how Sydney loved him, and how she will always love him, which I totally know that is not true, but how she will never love me which unfortunately that is probably true."

Harry said, "Hanson I think you can get her to fall in love with you. You just may need to be patient."

I said, "Anyway after he gloated about that, he was gloating about how he heard from the guy who he works with, whose wife is Joe's granddaughter about my promotion and how I was not getting it until Joe heard I was engaged to Sydney."

Doug said, "oh shit, he figured it out, this engagement was all a sham."

I said, "I tried not to panic. To keep my cool. But Rob knows me. Since we were kids. He can read me. Then he goaded me. Was going on about how I'm a bad person to make Sydney lie to her dad, her brother, accept gifts, and their kind words about me, and pay for that dress, and then how he can see I'm in love with Sydney, but he doesn't believe Sydney is in love with me, he thinks she went along with my plan to hurt him. He's so damn full of himself, he thinks Sydney can't get over him."

Doug said, "Sounds like he needs his ass kicked."

I said, "he definitely does.  Then he said that he thinks I'm in love and maybe my proposal was for real, but it's proof that Sydney is not in love because we aren't getting married for 2 or more years, and he pointed out that if I loved her, and wanted to commit to her, and buy her a ring, propose, and I had her love, and she wanted to marry me, then we would be setting a wedding date, getting married, instead of saying 2 or 3 years."