CHAPTER: 16 COUNT ON ME

A week had passed.  It was Friday night, and one of the cops that did work at Jump  Street before I got there, was getting married and they were having his bachelor party.  All the guys were invited, Tom, Doug, Harry, Booker, and Adam.  Booker was planning the party and going to have stripper pop out of the cake.   This week I had a case with Judy, and we were going to ride in her car, but I forgot something in my desk. I was headed in to get it, when I heard Booker ask the guys if they were ready for this party tonight. He was assuring them the girls that were going to be there were the hottest.  Ladies for every man tonight. I went ahead and just left without what I needed.  It made me sick just hearing it, thinking about Tom.

I was jealous but I knew that I had no right to be. I mean I will never be with Tom. Even if he wanted to be, I'd be too scared to, and he would never want me.

I had Friday off, so I spent the day trying not to think about the fact Tom was probably going to be hooking up tonight.  I really wish that I was not falling for him. I have to face the fact that I am. 

My aunt wanted us to come to her house for dinner, me and my dad. Jay was invited but he had to decline as he was out of town because of their friend's having the baby.

I met my dad there and we went in together.  Of course, Kris was there. But thankfully Rob was not.

Dinner was supposed to be at 8.  My aunt prepared cocktails and snacks for us to eat.  

Kris apologized to my dad, and to me, for her deceit, lying, and betrayal. She talked about how she loved growing up with me and how much my dad meant to her, and she hoped that in time I would forgive her, and she hoped that my dad didn't hate her and that she wouldn't lose him like she lost Jay.  My dad told her while he mostly blames Rob, thinks she was a victim, he is on my side, and what she did the lying and going behind my back was unforgiveable, and he understands if I can never be family with her, but he still loves her, and believes that she is sorry.

The whole conversation was just cringe for me.  I am thinking of all days, I mean Tom is out tonight, he was going to have lots of girls there who wanted a hookup. Then I have to sit here and listen to Kris.  And i don't blame my dad, I know that he has been a big part of her life, and I do believe that Kris adores my dad and thinks of him as like a adopted father.  But he's, my dad. Not hers.  I know that my dad has loved Kris since the day she was born, so did my mom, and that if my mom was here, she would be the same way. She would not be able to hate her niece. 

 My dad said, I hate what you did, and it's unforgiveable, wrong, but I can't hate you. But you have to think about how your actions hurt my baby girl. And you have to leave her alone. I know you wish you two were close still, but it's her choice and you and Jackie, I'm sorry but you have to respect that fact that Kris destroyed their relationship.

Jackie and Kris both cried.  My dad had his arm around me. He said, "My little girl did nothing to deserve this. She loved Rob with all her heart, and she loved you like a sister. She has always been there for you supporting you your whole life. She was lied to and stabbed in the back by someone who should have had her back. And I'm sorry but you have to understand you did this. You destroyed what you have, and you can't keep trying to have Sydney over to try and talk her into not being mad. it doesn't work that way.

They both cried.  Jackie said, "I know how badly you were hurt, and honey I hate it. Kris knows how I feel about what happened. But she fell in love and she's only human, and I am so sorry."

Kris said, "I guess then mom we better just forget about this, and go with plan B."  Jackie said yes.

My dad said, "Forget what,"  Kris looked at him, me and then her mom. She said, "never mind."