CHAPTER 47: TOM'S CHOICE

Judy texted to ask how I was. I said Haven't told Tom yet.

I called Tom. I dialed his number slowly, my heart beating out of my chest each button I pushed. I hesitated on the last one, but then finally pushed that last button.

Tom said, "hey Sydney." I tried to respond, but no words came. Just tears. Sobs.

Tom said, "Sydney what's wrong?"

I couldn't answer. When I tried to form a word, I got choked on my tears, and then was starting to have trouble catching my breath. In between sobs.

Tom said, 'Sydney tell me what's wrong."

Tom's view:

I'm scared. Sydney called, and she's not talking, sounds like she may not even be able to breathe. It's like she's gasping for air, and she's crying, no not just crying, sobbing. What the hell.

My mind races to the worst possible scenario. She's hurt. There is a mass shooter in the mall. Dammit why didn't I go with her. I should have. Then I'd be there to protect her. What if they are taking people hostage.

I tell Jay, "I got to go." I don't give him time to ask me any questions. I should have, I mean it's his sister, but I am freaking out right now. Scared to death. I got to get to Sydney. I run to the car

I said, "Sydney talk to me. What is happening? Is there a shooter? Sydney please you're scaring the hell out of me. Please say something."

But nothing, just tears, and gasping for air.

I said, "Sydney is there a shooter at the mall."

She said, "no" In between tears.

I am screaming almost at her on the phone. "Sydney you are scaring the hell out of me. Are you hurt, please try and talk to me. Let me know where you are. I'm on the way."

A muffled sound, but at least she is answering.

"Bathroom" Ok, it's a start, at least she is safe in the bathroom, unless some man is in there with her, or went in and raped her.

I said, "oh my God, did some guy drug you, jump you, in the bathroom."

She said, "no Tommy. I'm in here alone."

Thank God, I'm at my car, and when she said those words, I don't even realize it, but I double over, and take a deep breath.

I said, "Sydney are you safe?"

She said, "yes. I'm sorry. I'm just so upset" she said in between tears.

I said, "I'm on the way. Just stay in the bathroom. I'll let you know when I'm there, where is Judy?"

She said, 'at the table with your mom and my aunt."

I said, "did my mom upset you? Did she say something that hurt your feelings?"

She said, "no she's so sweet to me."

I said, "just try to calm down and try to breathe. Don't try and talk right now. I'm on the way."

I said, 'Sydney are you sure you're safe?"

She said, "yes I'm so sorry Tommy." She just kept saying I'm sorry.

I said, "Sydney it's going to be ok."

She said, "no you're going to be mad at me"

I said, "no I won't. Don't worry."

I feel such a sense of relief. I mean that she is not in danger. I know she is upset. I'm betting this is all too much for her, having to lie, I mean first the party, then the dress shopping. I bet she must have let it slip to mom and her aunt that this is fake. For my job. I don't care. I could never be mad at her for that. All that matters to me is that she is safe. She scared me, when I thought of all the bad things that could have happened to her. I need to make sure that she is always safe. I should have went to the mall with her.