CHAPTER 10: FRIENDS?

Sydney's view:

I wish I would not have let them talk me into this.  I mean ok this bar isn't as bad as bars go, but I see Tom, and it's like my legs won't work. I totally had a melt down and cried in front of him. I don't like showing emotion or crying in front of people.  Not to mention I looked dreadful, all wet, and he already thinks my body is ugly.

Judy takes my hand.  She said, "honey you and Tom will have to talk, it's best to just get it over with now. If you don't feel like talking don't say anything, but he needs to clear the air with you. You either believe him that he didn't do it on purpose, or you don't. We all know he would never do that, but it doesn't matter if it's what you believe that he would, then we can't change your mind. So if that's how you feel, then either he is going to quit, or you can co exist and work together. he is not going to let you quit."

We walk to the table.

The guys all say hi to us, and Dennis gets up and hugs Judy.  We say hi.  Tom said, "Judy, um Sydney"  I avoid his eyes. I can feel his stares, my face is heating up, my whole body is.

Doug said, "hey Harry, Booker you want to play a game of pool"  They leave.  Judy said, "I need to call and check in with my mom."  She leaves.

Tom is still staring at me.  He is standing there. I am looking down, away from him. Can't bring myself to look at him.

Tom said, "um"  He coughs, clears his throat.  he said, "um hey I'm really glad to see you tonight. But if you're uncomfortable because I'm here, which I think you probably are, then it's ok. I can go Sydney"

I said, "no I mean I'm uncomfortable being anywhere near you, but these are your friends, this is your group place you belong here."

Tom's view:

Damn she still hasn't looked at me.  Not once. God I wish she would hit me, I mean at least then I'd see her eyes.  She walked in looking at the floor and the guys, she greeted them all looked at them, smiled, but not me. 

I said, "Sydney you belong here. You are part of the team. If you want me to quit, I will. I'll turn in my badge tonight. But you aren't quitting."

She looked at me. Finally.  She said, "You aren't quitting either. I don't want you to quit. Neither do the guys, Judy or Adam. And I don't want to quit."

I said, "Sydney I swear to God I did not set you up. I get you hate me. Hell kick my ass. Hit me. Knee me if you want. I know as hard as you hit, you could break that part of my body. Go ahead. If it will fix this."

Sydney's view

God he is making this so hard on me.  I mean staring at me. I could not make eye contact. I finally do. I mean he's saying he will leave if I'm uncomfortable. I know I was a bitch when I said I am uncomfortable but it's true. he hurt me saying I was ugly, no boobs, and then leaving me. It's my fault. I trusted him today. And him saying I could knee him in the groin. I mean hurt him there. I wish he would not talk about that part of his body.

He said, "Sydney *I am so sorry. I know how bad I messed up. I have no excuses. Lack of sleep, drinking, I'm sorry. I can't believe I did this."

I said, "I believe you. I mean all the guys and Judy told me that you would not do that to me, that you don't lie. Even Booker who you guys hate each other."  Tom nodded.

I said, "I don't want to hold onto this, I want to let this go, just like Thursday. I was a bitch to you and I hit you, and I want to move on."  He said, "Thank you so much. I promise I will make this up to you."

I said, "you don't need to. I mean let me finish. I want to work with you. I will assist you on any cases or help in any way with your cases, but outside of that, I think it's best if we just avoid each other.  I mean I don't mean in like a group setting like where one of us has to stay away, I just mean we aren't friends. We will never be friends. That's fine. We are coworkers and we can agree to let everything go and be coworkers."  It's for the best. I mean I'd like to be friends with him, but he's hurt me twice. I can't risk it. Especially with how he makes me feel.