CHAPTER 31: TOM'S FEELS THE HEAT

The next morning, Tom slept late.  I woke up and went by his door, but his door was still closed. 

I started making his breakfast.  I turned on the little tv that was in the kitchen. It was a small one that set on the counter.

The local morning news was one.  

The anchor said, "coming up at the top of the hour, overnight, 4 Police Officers were jumped in a parking lot downtown, update on their condition and what they know so far about who attacked these cops."

I said, "that is terrible. Very scary to be a police officer now days.  Not just on cases, and the danger that comes from doing cases, or answering calls, or even simple routine traffic stops.  But also the danger that comes when you are off duty.  A lot of anger and resentment towards cops, and the bad cops I hate, because they make it so much harder on the good cops.  When there is a bad cop on the force, I wish that all the good ones, could get him out, but that isn't the way it works. I guess fear of retaliation, or fear of being seen as a narc or a rat. 

I made myself a smoothie, and was watching the tv and making Tom's breakfast.

I said, "it's the top of the hour, get to the update on what happened last night."

The lead anchor said, "A very bad night for some local police officers, were jumped from behind, by some sort of gang. Coming up we will go live to the scene."

They had the weather report, and then commercials. Then back to the lead story.

The reporter was in the parking lot, of some bar downtown, a strip club.  Which made me think of Booker, as Tom said that Booker likes to frequent the strip clubs and take girls home. I thought oh no, I hope it wasn't him that got hurt. 

She told how they had come to the parking lot, and then were jumped from behind, beaten pretty bad, not sure if it was the surprise attack, plus they were overpowered, or that they had been drinking.

I said, "another bad look for cops. I mean first they are coming out of a strip club, yeah they were off duty, but now it's all over the news that these cops frequent that place, and second if they were too drunk to be able to fight and defend themselves, then they were probably too drunk to drive, you would hope one of them was a designated driver. "

She continued that they had an eye witness, he probably saved the lives of those officers, as he came out with his friend, to the parking lot, and his friend chased them, trying to catch them, and they stopped the beating, he stayed and rendered aid, and called police and ambulances. he described what he saw, there were 5 guys, wearing gang jackets, but wearing hockey masks."  She said, "hockey masks"  He said, "yeah like in that horror movie with the hockey mask. White, you could not see their face, at all, and their arms were covered up, honestly can't tell you what race they are"

She talked to the downtown metro crime unit, and they said that they think it must be a new gang, because the gangs they have, don't go in disguise and wear masks, and they didn't recognize the gang signs on the clothes. They have zero suspects, and don't know where to look, so we are offering a reward to anyone who can offer tips, or if you know who might have done this. They put up the number to call. Big money reward. Then said that when cops are attacked, no matter what unit, what city, when one is attacked, it's a brother hood, it's an attack on all of us, and they will make sure these 5 guys are caught and arrested, and sent to prison for this, and intend to file attempted murder charges."

The next update was another reporter at the hospital, saying that the cops were in critical but stable condition, and all were going to be ok, just had broken bones, ribs.

I had turned to go to the fridge to get some eggs out, and had my back to the tv, when I froze, because I recognized the voice that was speaking.  It was my old captain.  Captain Richards.  I turned around.