CHAPTER 20: WEDDING BOMBSHELL

Sydney's view:

Tom has been in the bathroom for I think an hour. I hear the water running. I am actually relieved. Not sure I can face him, look at him. I still am reliving that kiss, and still feel hot, and weak.  How could one kiss do that to me.

There is a knock on the door, which brings me back to life.  It's my dad.  He said, "Sydney honey are you in there" I said, "yes daddy" I go to the door.  I look at the bathroom door, thankfully Tom has shut the water off.  Please don't come out Tom. I don't know how I would explain to my dad.

I open the door, and step outside. Leaving the door open.

My dad said, "hi sweetheart."  He gives me a hug.  He said, "you look so beautiful."  I said, "and you look so handsome."  I kiss his cheek.

He said, "Honey are you feeling, ok? I mean I know this day is hard on you but are you feeling sick or faint."  I said, "I feel ok. Um Why" He said, "Well your face is all red. And flushed, plus you are sweating a little. If you are sick, or this is to much for you. Please tell me. I can take you home."

I said, "I'm fine. I just um I took the stairs."  Ok that sounds ridiculous. I mean really Sydney.

I said, "I saw a bunch of my old friends in the lobby wasn't ready to face them" He said, "I'm sorry."  I said, "You better go on downstairs. I'm going to just freshen up and then go head down."  He said, "will Ben be down in the lobby so that he can walk you in. If not, then Jay can. He just texted said that he called you, but you didn't answer. He was going to tell you he's on the way."  I said, "oh I guess I didn't hear my phone."  I think of course I didn't, with the fireworks going off in my head. from that mind blowing kiss.  I said, "yes my date for the day is going to walk me in."

My dad hugged me and left.  I went back in. Thank God he didn't see Tom.  Dammit, why did I lie and say that it was I mean I didn't lie, my date will walk me in, but my dad said Ben and I didn't even really register it at the time.  My face is red. And flushed.  Oh no. Tom is going to notice. I can't wash my face; it will wash the makeup off.    Why am I still blushing over that kiss.

Tom came out.  He said, "were you talking to someone. I could have sworn I heard a man's voice."  He gave me a look.  I said, "my dad I guess he heard from the front desk I checked in. He wanted to check on me. I'll be back."  I go in the restroom.

I took my phone. I texted Jay that I was sorry I had my phone in my purse, didn't hear it ring.  he called wanted to know how I was feeling. I told him ok. Dreading this but ready to get the day over with.

I went back and Tom was sitting on the bed.

I said, "Tom" He said, "Sydney are you ok? you look upset. I mean I know you're upset about being here, I just mean you look like something else is wrong."  I said, "I don't know what is wrong with me. I was lost in thought um about going down there and I didn't really hear my dad, Tom he thinks that Ben is meeting me downstairs. I let him still think it. What am I going to do. I mean he and Jay think Ben is my date."

Tom looks at me weirdly. Then scratches back of his neck.  He said, "well looks like they are in for a surprise."  I nod.  Tom said, "wait I thought your brother was cool with me. I mean you working with me. Did he say he didn't like us working together?"  I said, "no he said all you guys were cool."

He said, "but you think your dad won't like me being your partner or your date."

I said, "Tom, it's just I didn't tell them Ben couldn't take me. I don't know. I just didn't think of it. And I wasn't really focusing just now, and I didn't correct him. He's going to wonder why I didn't Tom."  Tom said, "well can you just say last minute change. Ben couldn't make it, so I told you I didn't have anything to do."  I said, "Right that is a great thing to say. I mean it's true too. Well not entirely last minute."