CHAPTER 51: OVERWHELMED

I put on my denim dress. It was long and sleeveless. I fixed my hair and my makeup and went downstairs. Tom wasn't there.

Tom said, "hey Syd can you come upstairs for a minute." Tom was in his room, so I went in there, and Amari was asleep in his little bed.

Tom said, "Sydney I'm having a little bit of trouble deciding what to wear." I said, "what?" I laughed.

Tom said, "go on and make fun of me, I know that was such a girl thing to say." He laughed. So did I.

Tom had on black dress pants, and a white long sleeve shirt. He looked so handsome and sexy.

I said, "Tom you look great. Very handsome." He smirked. I said, "But um are we supposed to be dressing up? I thought it was just supposed to be my dad and Jay there. I guess I'm going to have to go change."

Tom grabbed my arm. He said, "no you look perfect. Very beautiful. And it's just your dad and Jay. I just feel like I need to dress up. I mean this is the first time meeting your dad and brother after we decided to go ahead and get married." I smiled.

I said, "Um Hanson." He was staring at himself in the mirror.

He said, "yeah." I said, "Are you, um you aren't nervous are you, about tonight?"

Tom said, "hell yeah I am. Your dad is a very scary and intimidating man, and I am stealing his little girl away from him."

I said, "But my dad loves you, so does Jay."

Tom said, "True, but your dad also let me know on the phone a part of him and Jay are sad."

I said, "oh well my dad told me that as well. But you don't need to be nervous."

Tom mimicked me, saying in a girl voice, "you don't need to be nervous." I laughed. He rolled his eyes. He said, "you have it easy Sydney. My mom adores you. In fact, I'm beginning to think she prefers you over me. Of course, I can't blame her. I do too." He smiled. I laughed.

I said, "your mom is very sweet to me. I love her. But no she prefers you to me. "

Tom said, "I don't think so, when I took you home to meet her, did you see that she totally ignored me, and hurried to you and hugged you. Left me standing there." He was acting like he was pouting and fake crying. He said, "That really hurt Sydney. My own mom." I laughed. So did Tom. I said, "poor baby."

I said, "Hanson my dad and brother love you." He said, "I know, but now my relationship with them has changed. A lot more pressure put on me. I just want to dress appropriate. I don't want them thinking I dress like a bum or something. "

I said, "Tom you look perfect. But you could go in shorts and a tee shirt, my dad and Jay aren't going to care. I'm sure they won't be dressed up. And they don't think of you as a bum."

I said, "Amari do you want to go with us to grandpa's" Amari jumped up.

Tom said, "heck yes I do momma," I laughed as Tom winked at me. Tom said, "you do know that your dad gave Amari steak." I laughed. I said, "I didn't know that." Tom laughed. He said, "your dad said that he couldn't help it. Amari was breaking his heart staring at him. Making him feel guilty." We laughed.

We left to go get Tom's mom. She wasn't ready yet, so we went inside his apartment. We were sitting on the couch with Amari. Tom said, "Sydney you care to make a little bet with me?" I looked at him. I said, "A bet huh." Tom said, "yeah" I said, "What is the bet?" Tom said, "let's see the loser has to treat the winner to breakfast, and then lunch and movies." I said, "ok, what are we betting." He said, "That my mom greets you with a hug before she does me." I said, "Hanson I'll take that bet. You are so wrong. You are her baby."