CHAPTER 44: A HERO'S REWARD

Sydney's view:

I wake up, and Tom's arms are wrapped tightly around me, and I'm practically laying on him. I think I had the best night's sleep ever. I felt so warm, and so safe. I could stay like this in Tom's arms forever. Never move.

I watch him sleep. He wakes up and sees me staring at him.

He smiled.

He said, "morning beautiful. How are you feeling?" I said, "I'm sore, but I'm feeling better than last night. I'm sorry about practically sleeping on you. I don't know how that happened."

 He said, "it's fine. I'm just glad that you were able to sleep. You have been asleep for about 12 hours." I said, "really that long" Tom said, "yep. I have slept off and on. Your dad and brother came in and then went down to get food. My mom and Judy are here too."

The nurse came in, and so Tom left to go out in the hall. He insisted he would be right outside.

She told me that she thought the doctor would probably release me to go home later today. Late afternoon. There is nothing they can do for the broken ribs, just rest, and pain meds.

The nurse left, then Tom and my dad and brother came in.

My dad giving me a kiss on the head, and then Jay.  My dad handed me some peach, orange, and white roses.  I said, "Thank you they are beautiful daddy."  He said, "not half as beautiful as you."  He bent down and kissed my head.

My dad said, "Sydney how are you, can I do anything to help you, ease your pain. I feel so helpless. It's my job to protect you, and to make sure you aren't hurt."

I said, "you guys need to stop worrying about me. I'm fine."

My dad said, "That's not happening sweetie."

I said, "Well the nurse said she thinks that the doctor will send me home today." Tom said, "So soon, are you sure that is a good idea? I mean Sydney you almost died."

I said, "no I could have died. All I had was a concussion, and broken ribs. And smoke inhalation, but if I wouldn't have been rescued by my very own superhero, then I would have died."

Tom said, 'Still sir, don't you think it's too soon. Maybe you should say something to the doctor."

My dad said, "as her father yes, but I can see that they would probably send her home."

Tom said, "Well don't worry, I am going to take good care of you Sydney. I will wait on you and get you whatever you need, or want."

Jay said, "no you let me do that. Allison and I can go to the store or pick up food. You just focus on being home with her, and we will do your errands, anything that you need Tom , just let me know brother."

He shakes Tom's hand. I love how close they have become. Like brothers.

Tom said, "Thank you." The doctor comes in, and Tom said, "are you sure it's safe to let her go home" I said, "Hanson."

The doctor laughs. He said, "yes, she is fine to go home. She just needs to follow orders, and rest, not overdo it, not push herself, no lifting, the nurse will give her all the instructions that I have written out, and of course no work."

Tom said, "absolutely no work, and yes I will make sure she follows all the instructions."

I said, "Hanson make sure to be in with me when the nurse goes over them, so that you understand them, because I have a feeling that you are going to think I'm not allowed to even sit up." Everyone laughed except for Tom.

Jay, and my dad were headed down to get lunch. My dad said, "Tom come with us let me buy you lunch." 

Tom said, "Thank you sir. I appreciate it, but I'm going to stay here."