CHAPTER 25: IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR

I get over to Sydney's. I'm not sure what to do. I mean maybe just sit out in my car all night and be here when she wakes up. That way I won't wake her up and upset her. But if I do that, I might oversleep, and what if she talks to them on the phone, tells them over the phone. She may change her mind about meeting them.

I won't pressure her to do this. I'll beg her. Promise I'll do whatever she wants. Beg her to at least give it a day and think about it. But I won't pressure her. It's not her responsibility to get me a job, nor to lie for me.   I understand she doesn't want to lie. And we would have to make sure that no one knows we are lying, otherwise I'd probably not only not get the job but be fired.

If she will just think about it, before she tells them we aren't engaged. That is all I can ask of her.

I just don't want to get to her too late and then find out she would have done this for me. But I don't want to make her mad, if I make her mad, I can kiss it goodbye.

I don't want to scare her, if she got up in the night saw a car in her driveway.

I think the only thing I can do is call her again, and beg her to let me in.  Tell her I need to talk to her first thing in the morning, and to not say a word to her dad or brother or aunt or anyone else about our fake engagement until we talk.

I call her.  She's not picking up.  Finally, the last ring before voicemail.

Her voice is even more quiet.

"Hanson Are you drunk?"  I said, "No baby I'm not drunk, but please Sydney can you let me come over."  She doesn't say anything. I said, "Sydney please. I won't bother you I'll go in the spare room, I just need to talk to you first thing in the morning, before you talk to anyone else. You can't talk to your dad or your brother or aunt until me."

She said, "k night" She hangs up.  No Sydney don't hang up I say.  Dammit.

I call back.  She said, "Hanson" I said, "I'm so sorry to wake you. I know you're tired, I need to come over. Now."  She said, "k" She hangs up.

I call. I said, "I'm outside."  She said, "that was fast."  I said, "I'm calling from your driveway."

She said, "k just a minute."  She comes to the door.  

She looks out and makes sure I'm out there, then opens the door. I come in. I said, "Thank you. I'm so" She locks the door, then turns to go to her bedroom"  I said, "Sydney."  She said, "you know where the bed is right."  I said, "yes but can you promise me you won't say a word to anyone at all, don't even answer the phone or the door, until you come and talk to me. Please my life depends on it."  She said, "Are you in trouble" I said, "no Sydney I don't mean literally. Just it's important to me. I need to ask you a huge favor."  She said, "ok what.,"  I said, "You go to sleep. Just please promise me you will not forget and come get me."  She said, "I promise."

I decide maybe I should sleep on the couch so that she doesn't forget I'm here.   that way I will hear her if she gets up.

I lay down on her couch. And I guess I went to sleep. 

Sydney's point of view:

I really had some crazy dreams of Tom.  I mean not just about what happened. He blurting out we are engaged. But in one of my dreams, it wasn't a fake engagement. He really did whisper in my ear at the wedding that he loved me. It was real. And we really got married.  

A part of me wonders if Judy is right, if I did keep up this fake engagement, would it end with me and Tom being real. But I can't believe that it could. I mean let's face it, there is no way that Tom is ever going to fall for someone like me. I mean besides he doesn't fall for girls.