CHAPTER 26: TOM'S BEGGING

Adam tells us to sit down.  I look at Tom.  He smiles to try and reassure me.

Adam said, "Sorry it's been a busy day already. Swamped here.

Tom said, "boss you have our next case ready"  He said, "yes actually I do, but don't have it all put together yet to give you.  It will start later this week. I think you two might have to do this different and go in as a real couple on this one."

I feel my whole body radiating heat.

I look at Tom. He smiles, then I blush.

Tom said, 'so it's dangerous for Sydney. I mean I'd rather not put her at risk is there any way that I can go in with one of the guys."

What, does Tom not want to be a fake couple. Is it because deep down he's upset that I am not going to do this fake engagement plan.

Adam said, "no Hanson I'm sorry I think this case we need you paired with a woman. This is a party ring, where couples get together once a week at night, and meet up, party, and then while everyone is either drunk and or hooking up, small items are stolen, like cash, jewelry. Since it's happened at more than one house, with the same people invited we are thinking the thieves are a couple.

I said, "Sounds good boss."  He said, "The reason I called you in here, you two have the afternoon off. Commissioner called and requested that I give you both the afternoon off and said that he needs to talk to you at his house. He said that Sydney could take you as she knows him and knows where he lives."

I looked at Tom.  Tom said, "oh ok sir."  Adam said, "I think this might be a good sign Tom. I mean that he is wanting to speak to you. Maybe he is finalizing his list of candidates for whenever I do get moved up."  I felt bad at that comment.  No that is not what it is about.  

I said, "After we get back, do you need us here"  He said, "no you kids take the day off. Enjoy yourself. Since you don't have a case yet. I have a meeting with one of the couples, who reported the thefts, and I am going to try and find out the names of everyone who attends, and what they drink"  I said, "you think maybe they are being drugged in the food. Not enough to show up but enough to kind of like make them a little out of it."  He said, "Good idea Sydney. I will find out what they eat also.  I mean if it is restaurant food brought in, if they all cook, or if just one does,"

I said, "I doubt just one is doing the cooking, if that's the case then there is more than one couple involved."  Tom said, "why do you think that"  I said, "Well if they are getting drugged at different houses, unless it's just the same one who is doing the cooking, which could be I guess."

Tom said, "good idea. Boss we will see you later. Thanks for the rest of the day off."  He said, "you're welcome. Good luck I can't think of anyone better to take my job, than you Hanson."  he shook his hand.

We left.   

Tom said, "hey you want to take your car, since you know the way or do you want me to drive and you tell me"

I didn't answer. To lost in thought.  I said, "Sorry you can drive if you want. Or I can."  He said, "let's go in my car then. I'll bring you back to get your car after we are done."

He opens the passenger door for me, then goes around.

He said, "Syd I will handle this ok, please don't be upset."  I said, "it's not that."  He said, "oh. What's wrong"

I said, "did you not want to do this case with me? Is it because you are upset deep down that I won't do the fake engagement."  Tom said, "Sydney no I'm not upset, I understand why you can't lie to those you love."  I said, "But you told Adam you'd rather do the case with one of the guys"