CHAPTER 42: PROM AND HERO IN A TUX

It was Friday, the night before the prom.  Tom was in a really bad mood.  Snapping at anyone who said anything when we had a meeting at work.  We drove home in silence.

I said, "can I ask if you want dinner, without getting snapped at?"

Tom said, "I'm sorry. But Sydney we have no idea who is starting these fires, and tomorrow is the prom. We are out of time. And you and Judy are in danger. I can't let anything happen to either of you."

I said, "I know that you're worried. That all of you guys are."

Tom said, "Sydney would you please reconsider."  I said, "Tom please don't ask me to not go to prom. I already went over this with my dad and Jay at lunch. They want me to not go."

Tom said, "you can't blame them, they love you, and are worried and scared for you."

I said, "I know that, and I feel bad that they are worried, that I put that on them, but it's my job."

I said, " Does Chinese sound good?"  I nodded, and he ordered delivery.  

Judy and Dennis came over, and she and I went upstairs after we ate.

I said, "as worried as I am about tomorrow, I mean not for myself, but I don't want any of the students there to get hurt, or the teachers, I'm still excited. To go to prom with Tommy."  She said, "I know same for me to go with Booker. It's like a dream date for us ladies huh."

I laughed. I said, "yes. Dates that we didn't get to have in high school. Are we being silly? I mean it's work and more than likely the prom is the target."

Judy said, "I know but we have two hot dates, and when we were in high school, we didn't get to experience prom. I know that it's work, and I know that everyone is going to be in danger tomorrow, but still, I'm not going to apologize for being excited to go with Dennis. What do you say we do the high school girls thing and get ready together before the prom" I said, "I was so hoping you would want to do that. I am going to need all the help I can get. To look good."  She said, "Sydney you are beautiful. And I think Tom thinks that too."

Allison called that night and asked if I wanted to go with her to the salon, she would pay to have my hair styled, and nails done, I asked if Judy could go too, and she said sure, and Allison said she would pay to have our makeup done by professionals too.:

Tom said, "Booker I'm really scared about tomorrow night. I mean keeping the girls safe."  

Booker said, "yeah me too. Same with Doug and Harry and Adam. But with all of us there and on the lookout hopefully we can spot them before they can do any damage."

Tom said, "I hope so. But in the meantime, this prom means a lot to Sydney. I still can't believe that she never got asked to go to prom."  Dennis said, "yeah that surprises me. I mean as hot and gorgeous as she is."  Tom glared at him.

Booker laughed.  he held up his hands in defense.

He said, "come on Hanson. You know I'm a man, I can't deny that she's hot, and beautiful."  

Booker said, "Judy is looking forward to prom too. I want her to enjoy this night, even if we are in danger."

Tom said, "yeah me too. I want to make the girl's night special. You in" Dennis said, "yeah what do you have in mind."

Tom said, "Well I was thinking of arriving in style, a limo, and take the girls out to eat at a fancy restaurant. Treat this as a real prom."  Dennis said, "Sounds good."  Tom said, "I'm not going to lie, I am probably going to feel sick, worrying about it, but I want the girls to enjoy themselves, so I think we should take them out to eat."