CHAPTER 11: YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO DO ME A FAVOR WOULD YOU?

Sydney's viewpoint:

It's been two weeks since all of that happened. Not a very good two weeks for me.  You see I got sick. I thought it was a cold, and I tried to go to school, but I was coughing so much, and then the teacher sent me to the nurse and sent me home.  When I didn't feel any better a few days later, in fact was coughing even more, couldn't stop, Jay insisted I go to the doctor and turns out I had pneumonia.

So I was off work, didn't get to help with the case.  Doug and Tom finished it without needing my help. Making me feel bad. I mean I already felt bad, being sick, and missing work, but the fact that they don't need any help, this doesn't look good, I mean maybe they will realize they didn't need my position.

Tom apologized again because he knew it was his fault I got sick. He doesn't have my number. But he told Judy, and then Doug told me he was sorry, and Harry told me he was sorry. I feel kind of bad that Doug, Harry, and Booker all have my phone number, and Tom doesn't. But I just feel better that way. I mean I've been tempted to text him so that he has my number, and I know it's what I should do just to be a good co worker. But I'm still mad at myself that I think he's so hot, and that he gets to me, like makes my stomach flip flop, and my heartbeat race, my skin be so tingly. The shock of his skin on me. Last thing I need is to be crushing on him. I have to stop that from really starting. Otherwise, there is just more pain in my future. I will give him my number, once I can stop thinking he is so hot, and just see him as one of my coworkers one of the guys.

I finally got released to go back to work.  Everyone was happy to see me.  Tom had been sweet and sent me flowers to my house the first day I got sick. I called the station to talk to him and thanked him. And I sent him a thank you card to the station in the mail. But I was going to thank him in person.

Tom was at his desk when I got there early. I said, "Tom"  He said, "hey welcome back"  I said, "Thank you."  He said, "Again I am so sorry Sydney."  I said, "it's ok. Not your fault. I should not have stayed out in the rain. Anyway thank you for the flowers. I'm sorry that I got sick and couldn't help but I guess you didn't need my help. I mean I'm thinking that they are probably going to realize that I'm not needed here, I mean my job isn't."

He said, "hey no we need you. We definitely need you."  I said, "I feel terrible that I missed two weeks of work when I just started. I'm probably getting fired."  Adam said, "no you are not young lady, that is enough of that talk. I don't want to hear it. Welcome back."  I said, "Thank you. I'm so sorry."  He said, "not you're fault that you got sick"  He looked at Hanson.

Adam went in his office.  I said, 'Hey thank you again for the beautiful flowers you didn't need to."  He said, "you're welcome"

They all wanted to go out that night to Marco's so we did that.  

Adam said that night, "Sydney I do have your next case starts next week. I'm putting you in with Booker."  Tom choked on his beer.  Everyone looked.

I said, "Great I'm so excited."  Booker said, "I'm definitely hyped up. Can't wait to work with you."

Tom excuses himself and goes to the men's room.

Tom's view

Dammit. I hate this. I mean she was so freaking excited. I get maybe because it's her first case, but I mean when she was put on the case with me and Doug, she didn't look that happy, that excited, she can't wait to work with Booker.  

I know that Booker is going to respect that she is not going to sleep with him. But that won't stop him for flirting with her, making her laugh, and I'm sorry, I'm jealous. I don't want her to become close friends to Booker. You know like how me and Judy are or how Judy and Booker are.  Like Judy staying out all night with Booker going to movies, sitting and talking, just hanging out. I don't want him to get that close to Sydney. Since I can't even be friends with her. I mean I am the only one here who doesn't have her number, and even though she has mine, or maybe she deleted it, because she hasn't called or texted. I like constantly stare at my phone hoping but no.  She doesn't want to be friends. I don't blame her. But having her get closer to Booker hurts.