CHAPTER 27: JEALOUSY

The guys all went home. I didn't ask Tom if he wanted to stay. I mean this whole thing has me feeling awkward at times, when it's just us.  I feel so close to him, and connection to him, but at the same time, a little embarrassed that I've revealed so much about myself to him, like I only had Rob, and I kind of cringe with all the information I'm just voluntarily giving Tom.

Not to mention I can't hardly not stare at him, and just a small touch of my hand makes me hot and blush, and I don't want him to think I'm falling for him. I need a little distance from him. I'm practically salivating at the idea of us not only being fake engaged, but also us having to be a couple on that case. Will he be kissing me?  Making out?  Hugging me?  he leaves me feeling so euphoric but also weak with just a small kiss or touch. I hope I don't make a fool of myself and not be able to even concentrate on this case.

Tom's viewpoint:

I would really love to stay the night. I mean in the guest room. But I mean just being able to talk to her more and see her in the morning. But I don't want to make her feel weird, I mean I slept here last night. I don't want her to tell me it's ok to stay if she doesn't really want me to. She's being so sweet to help me, and to lie to all the people she loves, and I know that's huge. I have no right to ask her to do that. I hate lying just as much as she does.  The thought of hurting my mom with this lie. I'm glad she suggested we tell her the truth. I know that I can trust my mom to keep my secret. Well I guess Sydney is not going to ask me to stay the night. Damn I was hoping.

I really need to just tell her I"ll see her in the morning. I get up. I said, "Sydney, I'll see you in the morning"  She said, "ok Tom, have a great night."  I said, "you too. Thank you again for doing this for me. I can't thank you enough Sydney. I know how hard it is for you to lie."  She said, "you're welcome. I would not do it for many people, but I think you deserve this job."

What the hell. As I open the door to leave, there is this guy standing there. Looks like a damn pro football player with his huge shoulders, I mean is this guy on steroids, illegal drugs, his chest, shoulders, neck legs are all big. And what the hell is he lost?

I said, "can I help you, are you lost?"  I cringe at what Sydney says next. Oh my God. 

Sydney's view:

Well I guess Tom doesn't want to stay. I mean I was kind of wanting him to leave, but then hoping also that he wanted to stay. it's just as well if he leaves, but I do feel safer in the house when he stays. I don't want to be clingy. And I don't want him to know that I am afraid to live alone. I mean I don't want Jay to know or my dad. If they knew my dad would insist I move home.  When I got my first police job, I got this house.  Rob moved in with me. When I kicked him out, now I just feel unsafe at night. I have all the doors locked, but still, with all the stories on the news about girls being raped.

What is going on with Tom? I mean is he jealous.  As Tom opened the door to leave, Ben is at the door.  Tom immediately gets in front of me, and he tenses up, and then is asking if that guy is lost"

I step aside of Tom.  i said, "hey Ben"  Tom gives me a look. Like I'm not sure what he is even thinking.  He looks at me, and then he looks back at Ben. And gives Ben a look, a not so friendly look.

Tom puts his arm around me.

Ben said, "hey Sydney."  Tom said, 'Ben um don't you think it's a little late for you to be making a visit, and also I mean what were you just going to stand at her door, and not ring the bell."

Ben is a little surprised, I can tell.  Tom said, "Do you always show up this late?"

I give Tom a look.  I said, "Ben come on in. This is Tom. Tom this is Ben."