CHAPTER 8: TOM IS F***ED

Tom's point of view.

This is another long night. I have got to try and calm down. I mean having this girl in my car, for a 40-minute drive, when I know that she'd rather be anywhere else. How am I just going to keep my cool.  Being on this case with her, I'm relieved Penhall will be there. I'm anxious, excited to see her on this case. I mean of course to see her, but also see how she does. How she handles herself. I just have to keep it together, and not let Penhall see that I am catching feelings for Sydney.

Sydney's point of view.

Another long sleepless night.  I don't even know what is upsetting me more. As excited as I am to start my case, I'm a bundle of nerves. I mean not just first case nerves. But I don't want to do anything to mess this case up. Because not just this is my last chance, but because of Tom. I mean he says that he let it go, that he doesn't hold a grudge. I think I believe him. No I do believe him, because Judy what she told me about him. I mean how sweet and protective he was to her. How he really helped her. Was there for her. I mean sleeping on the couch so she would be safe. Feel safe.   Hearing that changed my mind on him. He is a good guy. A good guy who thinks I'm ugly and look like a 12-year-old, but. Like I said, it's better this way I mean that way I won't have to worry about him asking me out and catching feelings for him. Feelings that I can't act on. 

I'm dreading this wedding. I've had nightmares about it.  I mean I hate that I look like a complete fool. That everyone there is going to be laughing at me behind my back, yet to my face offering sympathy and pretending like they care.  At least I will have a date.  I mean Ben is a good-looking guy.  he's a trainer at the gym. I'm grateful I won't be alone.

Rob upset me coming here. He upsets me thinking that he is irreplaceable. Just because I'm done with men and dating, it's not because there are not hotter guys out there, or that Rob can't be replaced. It's because I am not going to trust another man and let them make a fool of me.

Also, my mind is replaying since Thursday night every interaction I've had with Tom.  I mean his cruel words. Seeing him with those girls. Seeing him at work and how angry he was. Then our talk today.

I set my alarm for 5.  I usually wake up around that time, but I want to make sure I'm up, showered, and eat breakfast, and ready to go outside an wait for Tom. I figure since I heard he is always early, I'll go outside 6:45.  That way if he comes early. Even if he doesn't. I just don't want him to get here then have to wait. I don't want to upset him, make him mad. I don't want him yelling at me.

Tom's point of view.

I feel like shit.  I was so on edge about all of this. I mean I relived every interaction I had with Sydney since Thursday night. Her cruel words. Her anger.  Her hitting me. The way she made me feel. How I couldn't hook up. How I felt guilty like I was cheating on her.  Being honest, that still scares the hell out of me, freaks me out. I mean that girl kissed me, and it was like I saw Sydney's face. Like she is haunting me. Why, I mean I didn't even know this girl. Why would I feel like that. I've never felt like that before. I can't be falling for her. I just can't. She has made it clear I have no shot with her. And she has a man. I saw him all over her. Making me sick. I mean here she has a man she is sleeping with every night, and yet I feel guilty for letting a girl kiss me. What in the hell is happening to me.  I am on edge about having her in my car. If she knew what I wanted to do to her, kiss her. How she is making my body react to her.  What her perfume and hair is doing to me. A 40-minute drive in the car, trapped with her, when she makes my skin feel like it's on fire. I mean I'm burning up when I'm around her. My heart racing. Sick to my stomach. How will I survive the car ride, let alone all day with her.

I needed to unwind. So, I had a few beers. To try and help take the edge off and help me sleep.

That wasn't a good idea. I mean I haven't hardly slept since Thursday. Briefly for maybe an hour each night. And I woke up with a killer headache, not to mention feeling sick to my stomach. And late.  I always get up at 5. Do a little work out. Lift weights. Eat my breakfast. Go over all my plans for the day. Unwind have coffee before I head off to work. Showing up to work 15 minutes early.