CHAPTER 29: PARTY CRASHERS

Tom and I were to meet with the couple that had started the investigation. The couple picked the new club that Tom and I had met at.

I was getting ready trying to decide what dress to wear.  I took a shower, and then went to my room, and was looking in my closet.  I mean I know that Tom and I are fake, and I know that this is just for our case, but Tom and I are going out.

My mind flashes back to that night. Our first meeting. The first time I looked at Tom, and all the girls that were hitting on him.  Reliving each conversation, he had with them.

I know it's not like we are going out on a real date. But to me it's as close of a date that I will ever have with Tom.  I just wish I could look good. I wish I was one of those girls, that could not worry about what to wear, just pick something, and then still look beautiful. Kris is one of those girls.  I was always a little envious of her, that she was so beautiful.

 Tom was waiting.  He knocked on my door.  He said, "hey Syd we are going to be late."  I was in my bathrobe.  I opened the door and went to him.  I said "I know I'm sorry. I can't decide what to wear."

Tom smiled.  I love his smiles.  They leave me weak.  I hope I'm not blushing, but I feel my face get warm.  How can he not even say words to me, and I'm blushing.  This is going to be so hard for me as this fake engagement continues to not let Tom see my real feelings for him.  I wish Judy was right, and that Tom could fall for me.

Tom's view:

Damn she's been in her room for more than an hour, and she's not even dressed.  We are going to be so late. But she looks so damn cute. She's blushing. I didn't even say anything.

I said, "Sydney it's ok, we can be late it's not a big deal. But I do hope you know that you look beautiful no matter what you pick to wear."  

She gave me the biggest smile.  She said, "Tommy you are so sweet, but I know that you are just trying to make me feel better."

I said, "no I'm not just saying that. It's true."  Sydney said, "Tom, I know it's not true. It's true for Kris, I mean she can just go to her closet and pick out anything and look like she's walking the runway at the biggest fashion show. I'm just not."  

I really hate that she runs herself down, and makes me feel guilty, because of our first meeting. I said stuff I didn't mean to hurt her because she hurt my pride, my ego. As beautiful as she is, I would never have guessed that she has low self-esteem and doesn't know how beautiful she really is.

I reached out and touched her arm.  It catches me off guard, that every single time our skin touches, even brief contact, it's like being hit by lightning.  I try not draw attention to the way touching her makes me feel, so I leave my hand there, and act like it's not getting to me.

I said, "Sydney you are one of those girls. That can wear anything and look beautiful. I'm not just saying that to be nice. I'm saying it because it's true. And I don't get that you don't know that about yourself."  I remove my hand off of her. Touching her just does things to me, and that scares me.  I mean I don't know how I am going to be able to continue this fake engagement and hide my feelings for this girl.

She said, "Thank you Tommy. I'll try and hurry. I'm sorry that I'm going to make us late."

The smile she gave me almost stopped my heart. Beautiful. Gorgeous. This woman is going to be the death of me. I tried to muster all the control that I had to speak.  I said, "you're welcome and take your time." She smiled at me again, leaving me feeling weak, then closed the door.

I stood there staring at the door for a few minutes.  Then went to the living room and sat down. God help me. I'm in love with this girl. That scares the hell out of me. I don't fall in love. Love doesn't last, you get hurt, you get humiliated, you get stabbed it in the back. But yet I'm in love.