CHAPTER 41: FIRE STARTER AND CLOSE CALLS

We were in class.  The teacher asked me to take the attendance sheet to the office.  I was in the office and was talking to the secretary when the fire alarms went off.  I ran out into the hall, and everyone was racing out of their classrooms.  I was trying to get information as to what part of school the fire was, hoping to find out who is responsible, but was pushed outside by some of the teachers.  I started searching the crowd for Judy. But didn't see her. I tried texting her. When I didn't get an answer, I called, but went to voicemail, I started to worry that maybe Judy was trapped inside.

I ran to try and get back into the school, but they wouldn't let me through.  There were security guards there blocking the doors.  I said, "I need to find my friend. Please let me back in."  They refused, and said chances are my friend is out here in the crowd. If I go running in and she is outside. I said that I tried calling her, she's not out here.  But they refused, and I couldn't get past them.

I called Tom in a panic.  He was in class with Booker.  Tom said, "hello" I said, "Tommy I'm sorry to bother you in class.  His teacher glared at him and said no phone calls.  Tom said, "it's my mom, it's an emergency. I'm sorry."  

She allowed him to talk on the phone.  Tom left the room to stand outside. Tom said, "Sydney, What's wrong?"

I said, "Tommy there was a fire, I can't find Judy. I'm outside, I tried running to where the fire was, but they pushed me out."

Tom said, "Sydney why the hell would you try and run to where the fire is."  I said, "because I was thinking that maybe I would see whoever is doing this, I mean you know they are getting off on watching their work."

I said, "when I got outside, I looked for her and I can't find her, so I tried calling and went straight to voicemail, so I tried to get back in the building, but the stupid security guards here won't let me."

I said stupid loudly as I was standing right in front of them. I was glaring at them.

Tom said, "well thank them for me."  I said, "Hanson." He said, "Sydney it's not a good idea to run back into the school."  I said, "I can't find Judy."  He said, "Sydney, she probably made it out. it won't do her any good if you get hurt running back in to find her, when she is safe outside. She would never forgive herself if something happened to you."

Tom said, "Sydney I'm going to grab Booker and then we will meet you outside the school. Please don't do anything stupid, like tricking those guards and putting yourself in danger."

Tom went in and got Booker told the teacher it was a family emergency. Mom needed them at home immediately.  Tom then filled Booker in.  

Tom was panicking, about Judy. He felt helpless. She was in danger, and they can't help her.  Booker said, "I'm as scared as you are Hanson, but we got to stay positive, and trust that Judy is going to be ok, she is trained, and a great officer, better than both of us she knows how to get out of the building. I'm going to call Adam, but you need to call Sydney, make sure she doesn't do anything stupid, and get herself back in the building."

I was trying to sweet talk the security guard and beg him to help me find my friend. He said he would make a call, see what he could find out.

He found out that the fire started outside A7.  I said, "oh my God. That's my classroom."   He said that the door was bolted so they were trapped, had to break the windows to get out. He was on hold to get more information.

Tom called, and I answered, almost in hysterics.  Tom said, "Sydney, I can't understand you."  I tried to calm down enough to tell him, but I just kept saying A7.   Tom said, "I don't know what A7 means."  I said, "That's our classroom, that's where the fire started. I got sent to the office to take the attendance sheet. Dammit Tommy. I should have been in there. I have to get back in to find her."