We are not friends

Me, Beth and Viv got back to the apartment after the Spurs game and Leah came back to. We were just relaxing watching some TV.

Leah said “When are you going to talk to Jordan” while looking at me. Obviously, Beth was interested so she was listening. “I don’t know” I said

Leah said “We all have to work together”

I replied “I get that. I don’t make it weird at training or on the pitch”

Then Beth said “But there is an atmosphere and the other girls are starting to pick up on it”

“Jordan told me she asked to talk to you” Leah said

“She did but it was at half time of the Ajax game. It wasn’t the right place” I said

Leah said “Your the one holding the conversation back”

Beth said “You have to forgive her at some point”

Viv turned and looked when she heard what Beth said and she said “It’s not going to be that easy though. She tried to kiss her girlfriend”

Beth said “But it didn’t happen”

I didn’t want Beth and Viv to argue over me and Jordan so I said “Fine. I’ll talk to her tomorrow. Can we just leave it for now”

They all agreed and we watched a movie.

The next day we all went to London Colney for our recovery session. After the session we were walking in to get changed. I shouted “Jordan” she turned to look at me. She stopped so I could catch up. Everyone else carried on walking inside.

I said “We need to talk. But just us”

She said “Ok. Lets go get a coffee once we are changed”

“Alright” I said

Half an hour later me and Jordan are in the coffee shop. We sat in the far corner with our coffees. It’s silent for a minute then Jordan says “Thanks for having this conversation with me. I just wanted to say I’m sorry”

I said “We needed to have this conversation and I probably did leave it too long but I was angry. I know that your sorry but I don’t think it’s that simple”

“What do you mean” She asked

“It’s just hard after what you did” I said

“So your not going to forgive me” Jordan said

“I forgive you. You were drunk which was probably the reason why you did it” I said

She said “It is” she smiled

“But I don’t think you understand how much you hurt me. You were my friend” I said

Jordan replied “I’m still your friend”

I know that Leah and Beth want me to just forgive and forget but it isn’t that easy. I don’t think I expected this coming into the conversation but I then said “We are not friends Jordan. I don’t know if we can be again. Right now we can’t. I will be civil and talk to you at training and games but that’s it”

Jordan said “I get it. You don’t trust me but you have been good friend to me. I’m not going to let your friendship go, so I will fight for it”

“I just need time” I said

I went home from the coffee shop. Beth and Viv were home they were sat on the sofa watching an old football match. I sat with them after 20 minutes the door bell rang. Beth got up to get it as she was closet to the door. I heard “Where is she” It was Leah and clearly, she had spoken to Jordan.

Viv paused the game we were watching. Leah came through followed by Beth they both stood in front of me. Leah said “I thought you was going to make up with Jordan”

“I forgave her. That’s what you both wanted wasnt it” Beth sat back down next to Viv

“You told her that your not friends” Leah said

Beth turned and said “what”

“I did say that” I replied

Leah said “But why?”

“Yeah, that’s what I want to know. It was pretty simple really. She apologises, you accept and your friends again” Beth said

“She did apologise and I did accept it but I’m still hurt so how can we be friends” I said

“I don’t get it” Beth said. Leah looked confused. She sat on the chair to my left. They waited for me to explain.

So I did “When I got here, she was the one that said that we should be friends. We got closer. I was always considerate of the way I acted and the things I would say to Leah in front of Jordan. Then she tries to kiss my girlfriend. I’m not saying that me and Jordan will never be friends again. I told her I needed time. I know it’s not what either of you wanted but I had to be honest about how I felt”

Beth said “I didn’t realise you was that hurt”

I said “I didn’t tell anyone. I don’t want you or anyone else to feel like they are in the middle or have to choose between us”

“How come you never told me” Leah said

“Because I knew you would forgive her. I wish it was that easy for me. It would be easier for everyone. But I’m not a false person so I had to be honest” I said

I carried on “I’m sorry it’s not what you wanted”

A couple of days later we played the second leg of the champions league qualifier against Ajax.

I started and played the full 90 minutes. We controlled most of the game but they defended well most of the game. Viv scored in the 51st minute. The game finished 1-0. We were through to the next round.