Beth's birthday

We played Leicester at Meadow park in a Friday night kick off. I played the full game on the right wing. We won 1-0, the goal was scored by Frida Maanum with an assist from Jodie Taylor.

Steph Catley went off injured after playing 15 minutes as a sub. Looks like a groin injury and she will be out for a little bit.

Today is Beth’s birthday. I woke up before she did, I was showered dressed and I had made coffee before she came into the kitchen. I knew today would be hard with it being her first birthday without her mum but I knew that she would try and put that to the back of her mind. When she came in, she walked over to me and kissed me. She said “morning”

I said “morning, Happy birthday baby”

She smiled at me and said “thanks”

I gave her the coffee that I had made her and she sat down at the table. I sat down opposite her; I was just looking at her. She looked at me quizzically and said “what?”

I said “nothing just admiring how beautiful my girlfriend is”

She smiled and said “stop it”

“not going to happen” and I smiled at her. Then I said “I made a dinner reservation tonight. That’s ok isn’t it?”

She said “yeah of course it is” I got up and left the room. I went back in with a couple of gifts for her to open. She opened them, it was just a couple of tracksuits and a pair of trainers that she wanted.

She said “thank you”

“It’s ok. We are going to have to go soon” I said

She got up and said “I’ll just go and get ready” she came over and kissed me, then left the room.

Later on, we had just got home after our dinner date. We sat on the sofa, she put her head on my shoulder and said “thank you for today”

“You don’t need to thank me. I just wanted to make sure that you had a good day” I said

She said “I did”

I got a box out of my pocket and I gave it to her, she opened it and then looked at me confused.

I smiled and said “I’m not asking you to marry me Beth. I have been thinking a lot the last week or so, I think that looking back on the way that we were when we were just friends maybe we should of saw this coming. The flirting, the way I always wanted to be around you. How I always came to you when I needed someone to talk to. What I’m saying is I’m so in love with you Beth, I can’t wait to see what our future looks like”

She had tears in her eyes and said “I love you to. I never saw us coming but I’m glad that we did get together” She leaned over and kissed me. Then said “best present ever, I love the ring but I’m talking about you”

I smiled and said “you have me everyday” I winked at her and said “let’s go to bed”

The next day we went to get coffee with Leah, Lia, Steph, Jen and Jordan. We were sat at a table waiting for Jen and Steph to get here. They just walked through the door; Jen had a present for Beth it was quite big. She gave it to her and said “this is for you but it’s not from me” Then Jen looked at me.

Everyone at the table looked at me, I looked at Beth and said “It’s not from me either, I’m just delivering it on behalf of who it is from. Open it”

Beth opened it, it was a picture of her, her mom, her dad and her brother. It was taken at the after party of our euros win. She looked and said “I’ve never seen this picture before”

I said “I took it, your mum asked me to” I handed her an envelope.

Beth read it; I could see her tearing up. She smiled and said “It’s from my mum, I think she had a feeling that me and you would get together”

I said “what do you mean?”

She started reading the letter out loud “Happy Birthday Beth, I know that it will be a hard day but just remember that I will always be in your heart and I will always be watching down on you. I was so proud to call you my daughter and I’m sure that you will continue to do amazing things when I can’t be there anymore. I wanted you to have this picture of us as a family after your proudest and biggest achievement. Dani helped me with it. Whether you end up with Viv or Dani or even someone else, I want you to be happy and remember the good times we had and be able to tell them and your children about all of these times. I love you sweetheart with all of my heart”

Beth leaned towards me and kissed me. I kissed her back. I was quite surprised as this was the first time that she had kissed me in public. She pulled away and said “thank you”  

I said “no need to thank me. Just delivering on a promise that I made to a very important woman”