Captain Jordan

Three days after the champions league game we were playing west ham at Meadow Park in a late kick off. I was feeling better so I was able to make the bench for the game. Leah came to the game and sat in the stands with Rafa.

I left the changing room with Viv. We walked and chatted while we made our way to the bench.

We got comfortable and was ready for the game to start.

We seemed to settle quickly into the game. In the 5th minute west ham were pressing high and the ball goes out of play for a corner to them. They take the corner their captain is first to it with her head but Zinsberger safely gathers.

A minute later Asseyi for west ham goes down in the box. Did Maritz bring her down. The ref waves it away. No penalty.

We can’t seem to work the ball the way that we want to.

Beth plays in a great ball. It falls to Frida Maanum who passes to Stina she shoots but the shot is blocked.

In the 26th minute we are sloppy in possession and Zinsberger knocks the ball out for a corner. The ball is swung in but there is a foul on Kim Little. Free kick to us.

Three minutes later Zinsberger is receiving treatment on her ankle but she looks ok to continue.

In the 35th minute there is a mix up at the back with Catley and Zinsberger. West Ham’s captain Brynjarsdottir picks the ball up and slots it past Zinsberger.

West ham are 1-0 up.

Three minutes later Stina plays Beth in she shoots but it’s a good save from the west ham goalkeeper.

In the 40th minute Kim Little collides with Asseyi it looks as if she is hurt. She is unable to continue. Things go from bad to worse we are 1-0 down and we have now lost our captain. Jordan is on to replace Kim. Jordan also takes the captains armband.

In the 42nd minute Jordan Nobbs scores with her second touch. I’m so happy for her.

Me and Viv jump up and hug. Then we sit back down and I say “we are back in it”

There isn’t really much else that happens before the end of the half. The girls on the pitch go in. Me, Viv and the other subs are warming up on the pitch. Viv and I peel off and we pass between ourselves. I enjoy talking to Viv and being around her. She has quickly become a good friend of mine.

When the girls come back out. We go back to our seats on the bench.

The game restarts.

The first five minutes both teams are struggling to string a couple of passes together.

In the 52nd minute Stina has a shot which hits the side netting.

Maanum wins a free kick that Catley takes. Stina is on the end of it with a volley and it’s in the back of the net. We have turned it around we are 2-1 up now.

In the 70th minute McCabe crosses the all into the box and Maanum meets the ball with her head. She’s scored. 3-1 to us.

There is a triple sub from us Maritz, Foord and Stina are off. Hurtig, Viv and myself are on as replacements. I give Viv a high five then we both go to our positions.

A couple of minutes later Jordan crosses in Hurtig tries to meet the ball at the back post but she can’t get enough on it. The keeper gathers.

In the 77th minute Viv drives forward and plays the ball to Hurtig but it’s intercepted.

In the 84th minute Viv is pulled back and Fillis is booked for it.

In the final minute Maanum has an effort that comes back off the crossbar.

Then it’s full time.

We just broke a record 13 straight wins in the WSL the most in WSL history.

We shake hands with the west ham players and high five each other. I get to Viv and she hugs me. We walk over to our huddle and stand next to each other.

After we all get changed Leah comes over to me. I smile at her but she doesn’t return it.

“What’s up” I asked

Leah said “Nothing. I’m just tired. Maybe you should go back to your place tonight”

“If that’s what you want” I said. I wasn’t happy. I knew something was up I just didn’t know why she wouldn’t talk to me about it.

Leah left in a hurry. I got in my car and went home.

Just as I got in Leah had put a message on the Arsenal group chat saying that she was having a get together tomorrow night. For ‘Captain Jordan’ and to cheer Kim up. Looked like she would be out for a while. We will have to wait for her to have her scans and we will see.