Semi-final 2nd leg

We have the morning off because today we are playing the second leg of the Champions league semi-final. I woke up at 7am but Beth wasn’t in bed. I got up and walked through to the kitchen. I heard the shower on as I walked through so Beth is clearly in there. I made us both a coffee, both of our mornings had to start with one of those.

After her shower Beth came into the kitchen in her training gear. I looked up from my phone and said “I made you a coffee”

She came over and pecked my lips and said “thank you” she sat down at the table. I was still standing by the sink she looked at me and said “are you ok?”

“Yeah, I’m ok” I said

“I have a small session this morning it’s just a couple of hours, you going to be ok if I go” Beth asked

“I have to learn to be away from you, I don’t like that you worry about me so much” I said. I looked down at the floor. She came over to me, put her hands on my shoulders and said “hey, I’m going to worry. I love you. You don’t need to feel ashamed”

“I just feel so stupid. I’m a grown adult, I shouldn’t need someone to babysit me. Least of all my girlfriend” I said

She said “your not stupid babe. Mental health is a serious thing. If I have to be by your side all the time for you to feel ok then I’m going to be there”

“I love you Beth, I’m going to stay here though. It won’t be for long. I’ll be ok” I said

Beth said “I will have my phone on me, if you need anything please call me”

“I will” I said.

I moved into her and hugged her. She pulled away and kissed me. She said “I’ll see you soon”

The game was about to kick off, I was starting on the right wing again today. I looked over to the bench where just behind Beth, Leah, Viv, Kim, Caitlin, Jodie and Gio were sat. I caught eye contact with Beth, she smiled and nodded her head. I smiled back. I was ready for this.

The whistle went to start the game off.

In the 3rd minute of the game VAR are checking for a possible handball in the box by Lotte. It took a long time to check. The ref was told to go and watch the replay. Usually this means that they are going to overturn the decision. When the ref comes back, she signals for offside. I let out a breath that I didn’t know I was holding in.

Wolfsburg started the better side. We tried to get hold of the ball but they were playing a bit better than us.

In the 9th minute Maanum plays a ball over the top for Stina but it’s slightly over hit and the keeper gathers.

In the 11th minute there is a mix up between Frohms and one of her defenders. Stina is there and nicks the ball, takes it around the keeper and puts it in the back of the net. We celebrate but it is cut short. VAR are checking for a possible foul by Stina. The decision is goal we are 1-0 up. The crowd erupts again. They are so loud tonight. It’s such a big crowd, I love it.

In the 18th minute I play a ball over the top which has the Wolfsburg defenders back pedalling. The ball gets worked back to Maritz but she can’t hit the target with her shot.

Straight down the other end Wilms shoots from distance. But it’s easy for Zinsberger.

We have gained momentum and seem to be in control at the moment.   

Jill Roord has a shot in the 24th minute but she pulls it wide.

2 minutes later McCabe goes down in pain she signals to the bench she needs treatment.