Dissapointed

When I got home the next day Beth wasn’t in. She went away to Miami Florida with Viv, Kim and a few others. I don’t even know if Beth and Viv have gotten back together.

I showered, got dressed and got comfortable on the sofa. I had to get some ice to ice my ankle. I think I know in my head I won’t be playing at the weekend. I just hope it’s nothing too serious and I can play in the Conti cup final. I had one of my playlists playing in the background. I decided that I would have a couple of beers, I needed to try and relax and block everything that was going on in my head.   

After a couple of hours, I heard the front door shut. I had had more than the couple of beers that I had intended to have. I don’t even know how many I just knew that I was pretty drunk.

Beth walked into the living room and said “whoa, party for one is it”

“Yep, pretty depressing isn’t it. Much like my life” I said

“Having a pity party isn’t going to help” Beth said

I said “it will for this moment though”

“What’s got into you? You don’t even drink usually” Beth asked

“Maybe I should” I said

Beth said “I never thought I would ever say this to you but this actually disappoints me”

What she said upset me and I felt tears in my eyes and I knew that Beth saw them too. I wiped them away pretty quickly. Then I said to Beth “So how was your holiday”

Beth said “It’s was good to get away for a bit”

“I bet it was” I said

“What is that supposed to mean” she asked

“’Nothing really” I said

Beth replied “I know you want to ask me something so you might as well just ask”

I mean I was drunk so apparently; I was brave to. So, I said “how’s your girlfriend”

“My girlfriend” she said

Sounded like a question so I said “yeah, you know Viv. Who you went on holiday with”

“We booked the holiday before we split up. Would it be an issue if me and Viv did get back together. Or is it because you and Leah aren’t getting back together and your jealous” Beth said. That sounded very much like a swipe at me. Maybe I deserved it but this time when the tears came, I let them fall.

I didn’t even answer. I turned away and sat there crying for a minute or so. Then I got up and went to my room, I sat on the bed.

Half an hour had passed and I was still sat in the same place, I heard a knock at the door and it opened. I looked up but didn’t say anything. Beth came and sat next to me. She put her arm around my shoulders and pulled me into her. I don’t know why I felt so safe here.

I pulled away a bit but Beth didn’t move her arm. We were looking at each other and she started talking first she said “I’m sorry”

I said “it’s fine it was probably my fault anyway. I shouldn’t have had so much to drink. Then you wouldn’t be so disappointed in me and I probably wouldn’t of asked you about Viv, well not the way I did anyway”

“I shouldn’t have said that, it’s just so out of character for you” Beth said

I said “I don’t even know who I am anymore Beth”

Beth looked at me and said “can I ask you something”

I replied “yeah of course”

“Why did you ghost me after our phone call” she asked

“I just didn’t understand what was going on, you were upset when it happened, then not long after you’re trying to get me to get back with her. She hurt me pretty bad” I said

Beth said “Leah called me and I guess she made me feel sorry for her”

“I felt like you chose her side” I said

“It wasn’t like that, I just hate seeing you hurt, I didn’t want you to ruin camp for yourself” Beth said

I said “that happened anyway. I was off the whole week it wasn’t just the last couple of days. On the pitch I was able to focus, I’m good at that now. But off the pitch was another story. I felt like something was missing all the time and the only time that would go was when I spoke to you”

“I was what was missing?” Beth asked

I nodded my head but didn’t say anything

Beth carried on “but I wasn’t at the last camp either. What was different?”

I shrugged my shoulders “I don’t know Beth, I just missed you” I looked down after I said that. I don’t even know what that means. I don’t know how Beth will take it.

She said “what does that mean”

I looked back to her “I don’t know. I’m so confused right now. You seem to be the only thing that makes any sense but I don’t know why” I said.

I started crying again, Beth pulled me in for a hug and I completely broke down in her arms. I then did something that I don’t think either one of us expected, I pulled away slightly I looked into Beth’s eyes and I kissed her. To my surprise she kissed me back, after a minute we both pulled away looked at each other then she looked down at the floor. What had I just done, I knew that she was going to hate me now. I said “I’m sorry Beth”

She looked at me and said “We will talk about it tomorrow” she got up and left the room.

I couldn’t help but think that I had just lost my best friend too.