Going home

A couple of days after I had dinner with the girls we were playing Juventus in the return fixture at the emirates.

I still had the doubt in my head that Viv and Steph had put in there. I get they were just trying to look out for me, I was their friend and they didn’t want to see me get hurt. I think they were wrong in parts of what they said but some parts were true. Me and Leah haven’t spoken about it since and have carried on as normal.

We arrived at the emirates on the coach. I got off went to the changing room and put my stuff in my locker. We all went out to inspect the pitch. I walked around talking to Lia.

She asked “I’m not trying to get rid of you but why are you walking with me. Don’t you usually walk around with Leah or Viv”

I said “I’m allowed to walk with other people. To be honest could do with a little space from both of them at the minute”

“Has something happened” Lia asked

I said “Yes and no. It’s just me. I think in their own way they are both trying to look out for me but maybe it’s in the wrong way”

Lia said “It’s probably not the time to ask just before a game but if you ever want to talk about it. Let me know and I’ll be there to listen”

“Thanks Wally. I just might take you up on that” I said

After walking around the pitch, we went back to the changing rooms to get our warm up kits on. Leah was already back and sitting down. She said to me “Everything ok”

Lia heard this and said “Sorry for stealing Dani, I needed some advice about something so she offered” I smiled at her

Leah said “It’s fine”

We went out to warm up and Viv was warming up with Katie and Leah with Jordan. They all looked at me but didn’t offer for me to join them so I warmed up with Lia and Laura Wienroither.

Warm ups were complete and we were changed into match kits. We were called to line up in the tunnel. Leah was back in the starting 11 so she was the captain for tonight. She was at the front of the line and I was near the middle between Lia and Steph. I was surprised that Leah didn’t even look back. I let it go I needed to get my head in the game. We left the tunnel and lined up on the pitch. We shook hands with the opposition and went to huddle while Leah did her captain duties. She came into the huddle next to Viv and said “Come on girls lets get the win tonight. Gooners on 3. 1.2.3” Then we all shouted gooners and peeled off to our positions. I was playing right back and Leah was playing right centre back. I looked at her. She looked focused as always. That’s what I needed to do. I looked forward and got my head in the game.

The first 15 minutes was back and forth like the away fixture. But in the 16th minute Stina crossed the ball into the box and Viv was on the end smashing it into the top right corner of the goal. I went and jumped on her back. I was pumped we were up 1-0.

We had a lot of possession but we couldn’t score another goal in the first half.

In the second half they had quite a few chances but our defence was standing strong.

In the 62nd minute Leah was taken off for Rafa. Leah came over and put the armband on me.

“This is yours” she said with a smile

“I’ll just borrow it for a little while” I smiled back at her. She went off. High fived Rafa and then went to sit on the bench.

Both sides had a few chances but neither of us could capitalise on them.