Cup winners

Today is the last day of the Arnold Clark cup. We play Belgium tonight at Ashton gate in Bristol.

Since my phone call with Beth after the last game I haven’t spoken to her, she text me a couple of times but I didn’t want to message back. Just felt like she sided with Leah a bit and I just didn’t get it she was so upset when she saw what happened with Leah and Katie.  

Other than in training or at meals or travelling I haven’t really spoken to any of the other girls and I knew that everyone knew something was up. I’m guessing they all now knew that me and Leah had split up.

We just got to the stadium I got changed into my warm up kit and I sat down at my locker. I had a splitting headache so wasnt really in the mood to talk to anyone but Lucy had other ideas. Her locker was next to mine, she sat down and said “you ok”

I said “yeah, just have a headache”

“you had something for it” she asked

“The doc is just getting me something” I said

She said “good, you going to speak to Leah anytime soon”

“About what” I asked

She answered “you and her. I know that you love her”

I said “you as well”

She said “what do you mean”

“You do realise that Leah can talk for herself right. She doesn’t need you, Keira or even Beth trying to talk to me for her” I said. I raised my voice a bit so Leah and some of the other girls heard what I said

Lucy said “I’m just trying to”

I cut her off and said “save it Luce, I can’t even talk about it right now” I knew I had started to tear up. I walked past Keira and then Leah and headed towards the pitch to start warming up.

I felt someone tap on my shoulder, I turned and saw that it was Lauren Hemp. I said “hey”

She said “need a warm up partner”

“Yes please” I said. We started passing the ball to each other.

After the warm up I was walking back to the changing room with Lauren I said “thanks”

She said “don’t mention it. Could tell you needed a bit of space from some people”

“Tell me about it” I said and smiled at her

The game was about to start I got into my position. Leah was playing her usual CB position next to me. We looked at each other and she nodded. I smiled and nodded back. I turned forward and focused myself for the game.

The whistle went.

Within a minute Belgium have a corner after Leah was caught on her heels.

They send the ball in but I manage to get it away. They appeal for a penalty but the ref waves it away.

We respond almost instantly as James finds Stanway she shoots from outside the box but it’s just wide of the post.

We have our first corner in the 4th minute I go to take but it gets headed away to safety.

In the next minute Russo has 2 shots blocked then the ball falls to me and I shoot but a defender gets in the way.

In the 8th minute Kelly crosses in from the left. It goes all the way to James who shoots but it’s over the bar.

Kelly wins a corner in the 11th minute after her shot is deflected out.

I take the corner short to James she cuts inside and plays Kelly in who smashes the ball into the back of the net 1-0 to us.

In the 27th minute we have  corner which I take, I swing it in and Bright connects with her head but it’s on the roof f the net.

In the 42nd minute we have a corner. I cross it bright holds the ball up and passes to Lucy who finds Leah who heads home from just a few yards out. The girls go to celebrate with her but I hang back. 2-0 to us  

Not long after the half is over.

We come out for the second half and my focus is still on the game.

Sarina makes a sub-Hemp is on for James

Within 3 minutes of the restart Hemp sets up Russo but it’s on the roof of the net.

We have a corner a minute later. Hemp takes this she passes to Stanway who shoots but it comes off the keeper’s face and into the path of Kelly who slots the ball into the back of the net 3-0

In the 63rd minute I get caught late on my ankle. I go down, Leah comes over and asks “you ok, do you need a medic”

“I’m ok, I think. Just needed a second” she put her hand out to help me up. I took it and got to my feet. I said “thanks Le”

She said “no worries” and smiled at me. The player gets booked

2 minutes later Kelly finds Tooney who shoots and it smashes off the crossbar.

In the 71st minute Daly comes on for Russo

They have a spell of pressure on us for about 5 minutes.

Then in the 78th minute Stanway pulls the ball back to Daly but a defender gets to it first but unfortunately for her she puts it into her own net 4-0   

In the 81t minute Walsh and Toone go off. On come Park and Wubben-Moy. Leah moves forward into midfield.

The tempo of the game starts to drop a bit.

We have a free kick. Leah takes and finds Daly but she doesn’t connect properly but she does find Lucy who half volleys it past the keeper 5-0

In the 91st minute they score a cracking goal through Dhont which we could do nothing about 5-1

2 minutes later Stanway crosses the ball into the box. Belgium get it away but it has fallen to Leah on the edge of the box, she shoots and it goes in. I have to say that was special. This time I do go and celebrate with her. 6-1

The whistle goes for full time not long after.

We retain the Arnold Clark cup.