I don't know if I can tell her

The last couple of days when I haven’t been at training and Beth hasn’t been at rehab. We have been together. With the national break coming up we know it will be over a week without each other. I already know that it’s going to be hard.

Tomorrow we are playing Man City in the last game before the international break.

Me and Beth have only been together for 3 weeks but it feels like longer. I want to tell people but Beth still hasn’t told Viv yet. I want to have the conversation with her but I know it’s going to be tough.

We were sat up in bed, it’s around 10pm and I was tired but I knew that I wouldn’t be able to sleep.

Beth looked over at me and said “what you thinking about, you look deep in thought”

“probably not what I should be on our last night together before going away for over a week” I said

Beth said “so what are you thinking about”

I said “Viv”

I saw Beth’s face drop and she said “I don’t know if I can tell her”

“I’m not asking you to, I just hate that we are a secret” I said

Beth said “I know. So do I but it’s just not the right time”

“And when is the right time going to be” I asked

“I don’t know. I don’t want to argue about this” Beth said

I said “I’m not arguing Beth, I’m just saying she is going to have to find out sooner or later”

The next day it was a lunchtime kick off at Meadow Park. Beth was sitting in the stand with Viv and Kim. I was starting today on the right wing.

The game started.

In the 3rd minute Walti went on a run down the left, she crossed in but it was gathered by Roebuck

2 minutes later Shaw scored for Man City with an assist from Chloe Kelly

In the 10th minute McCabe gets herself booked by pushing the ball into Kelly’s face after she wouldn’t let her take a quick throw.

3 minutes late Shaw catches Leah out by stealing the ball from her, she shoots but D’Angelo saves.

The first 20 minutes of the game Man City have been the better team. We need to try and get into the game.

In the 23rd minute Leah goes into a challenge hard but she wins the ball and passes to Foord who gets away. She crosses but it’s too close to the keeper.

In the 32nd minute McCabe crosses the ball in Maanum shoots from ten yards out but it’s high and wide.

Coombs has a shot in the 34th minute it deflects off Lotte and goes wide. Ref says goal kick. I’m not sure how but I’m going with it.

2 minutes later Foord goes down and stays down. She needs treatment. She is not going to continue.

Wienroither comes on in her place. There will be a reshuffle for some players.

In the 39th minute Hemp misses a sitter, she has another shot just before half time but that is saved by D’Angelo.

We are back out for the second half and are determined to turn this around.

2 minutes into the restart we flood the box Roebuck comes but misses the ball and it falls to Leah but it rolls off her thigh and goes wide.

In the 62nd minute McCabe crosses the ball in it goes past Stina, City don’t clear it falls to Maanum who puts the ball in the back of the net 1-1

5 minutes later they have a chance through Kelly but she pulls her effort wide.

In the 68th minute we make a triple sub-Maritz, Stina and myself come off. Replacing us are Kuhl, Taylor and Beattie   

2 minutes later Walti is late on Angeldahl and picks up a yellow card

In the 74th minute Maanum strikes the ball but Roebuck tips it over the bar

In the 75th minute we have a corner, Maanum passes to McCabe on the outside of the box, she shoots and she scores a wonderful goal. She runs over to the players on the bench to celebrate with us. 2-1 to us

2 minutes later they have a chance Angeldahl shoots but D’Angelo pushes it over the bar

They have a free kick in the 90th minute but Houghton drives it straight into the wall.

We manage the game well in additional time.

We win 2-1 and go second in the wsl.

Me, Leah and Lotte are travelling to St Georges Park from the game. We have a little bit of time after. I’ve just finished changing when Beth comes into the changing room. She walks over to me and says “can I talk to you in private” I nodded my head and followed her out of the room. We stayed in the hallway she said “I don’t want us to be in a fight with you going away”

I looked at her and said “we’re not. You wanted to know what I was thinking and I told you that’s it”  

“I will tell her when the time is right” Beth said

I nodded and said “ok”

Beth then looked around and said “I really want to kiss you”

I smiled and said “me to. I suppose a hug will have to do” she came over to me and put her arms around me. I whispered “I’ll miss you”

She said “I’ll miss you too”