Heartbreak

Extra time kicks off.

Wolfsburg keep possession of the ball for the first couple of minutes.

3 minutes into extra time Katie McCabe goes down with cramp. I know that won’t keep her down.

In the 98th minute I steal the ball in midfield. I pass to Maanum who sends in a low cross for Hurtig. She hits it first time but Frohms is equal to it and saves it.

Just after Lotte puts the ball in the back of the net but it doesn’t stand the whistle had already gone for a foul committed by me.

In the 105th minute wassmuth is booked for a late challenge on Catley.

It’s half time in extra time. We go over to get a drink Jonas is talking tactics, I’m just trying to stay focused.

We go back out to start the last 15 minutes of this semi final.

3 minutes into this half a player gets past McCabe and Lotte but Zinsberger claims at the near post.

Beattie goes down with cramp again.

In the 111th minute there is a tired shot from Maanum that goes wide. Right down the other end Walti slips Bremer gets an opportunity but her shot is off target.

3 minutes later Rauch is booked for a late challenge on Catley.

In the 115th minute McCabe crosses in it’s over the head of the keeper and hits the crossbar.

2 minutes later Catley is booked for a pull back. From the resulting free kick Roord’s shot is saved by Zinsberger.

In the 118th minute Jule Brand nicks the ball off Lotte, she crosses in for Bremer to tap into the back of the net 2-3 Wolfsburg. Me, McCabe and Walti go to console Lotte she has been amazing tonight other than that but she is distraught.

Agyemang comes on for Beattie for the last couple of minutes.

In the 120+2-minute Oberdorf fouls Walti and I’ve had enough, I run over and push her over and she goes down so of course I receive a yellow card as well. Clearly emotions got the best of me which isn’t like me but this was important to me and the rest of the team.

Not long after the final whistle goes. We have lost.

I have so many emotions going through me. I’m exhausted, I played so hard tonight. It was my best performance in an Arsenal shirt so far as it was for many of the other girls that were on the pitch. Yet I still felt empty.

It was unfortunate for Lotte losing the ball right at the death. Other than that mistake she was one of the best players on the pitch. She should be proud, I know that we all should be. We gave it our all. The win could have gone either way. They just happened to be the lucky ones tonight.

I tried my best to lead the team to the champions league final in the absence of Kim and Leah.

I know that Katie McCabe isn’t one of my favourite people off the pitch but tonight she was out of this world. The passion she has for the game and for the club is second to none. She made a big difference. Also, Stina and Jen scoring our goals on the night. Steph Catley despite just coming back from injury played the full 120 minutes and also had an amazing game both defensively and offensively.

They are just a few high lights. Every single player had a say in the game tonight. I couldn’t of asked for anymore from my team. I was gutted at the result, we all were.

We did make history tonight by selling out the Emirates. What an achievement. Just a shame we couldn’t get the result for the fans.

I hugged my teammates that were on the pitch. Leah and Viv also came over to hug me.

After, we shook hands with the Wolfsburg players and the officials. We went into a huddle in the middle of the pitch. Beth, Leah, Kim, Viv and Caitlin were here too. I was stood next to Katie believe it or not. Jonas said “you gave it your all. You did yourselves, me and this whole club proud”

He looked to Leah who was dead opposite where I was standing and she said “you girls were amazing tonight and in Germany. We were unlucky not to win this game. But we will keep our heads up and come back stronger. I’m so proud of each and every player in this team. This club is everything to me and you girls showed that it is to you. We are a family always” Leah had tears in her eyes, I looked to the other side of me where Kim was standing and she also had tears in her eyes. I was already on the verge but it sent me over the edge and I started to cry. This was my team and I felt everything that Leah had said.

Katie shouted “team on 3. 1,2,3”

We all shouted “team”

Me and Katie led the team to applaud the fans that came here. Their support was amazing. It was just the two of us walking out front. Katie put her arm round my shoulders and said “you were amazing tonight. You led this team and we nearly won”

I turned to her and smiled. I put my arm around her back and said “we led this team and we will continue to for the rest of the season”

She said “I’m sorry you know. I did something that I would never have done before. I don’t know why I did it”

“Hey, let’s forget about it and start over. You never know maybe we could actually be friends”

She smiled and said “I’d like that”

Just then Lia and Frida walked alongside us so we continued our applause for the fans.

We walked around the whole stadium. When we got back to the tunnel, I saw Beth and Leah were waiting. I needed a hug from my girl after that. I ran past Leah and to Beth and hugged her so tight. She said to me “I’m proud of you”

I pulled away so I was looking at her but I still had my hands on her shoulders and I said “I love you”

She smiled and said “I love you too” Then I hugged her again.

After we pulled away, Lia came and gave Beth a hug and they were talking. I went over to Leah and said “hey”

She said “hey superstar” this made me smile. I gave her a friendly hug. I said to her “thanks by the way”

She said “what did I do”

“You made me cry” I said

“I’m sorry but I’m guessing it wasn’t just me. This is your club; I know you thought everything that I said” Leah said

“Le, I didn’t just think it. I felt it. This team is everything to me. I wanted to win so bad for you, Beth, Viv and Kim. As footballers you all inspire me. I just wish the result was different” I said

At this point Lia and Beth came over to us. Beth put her arm around me. She could see that I was getting emotional again.

Leah said “hey, you led this team. You kept them all going, you played your heart out. Sometimes results don’t go our way. But I believe that this is an amazing team. You have made it even stronger. We will go on to win a lot more. I feel it. We will do it all together”

Lia said “I think you may be right”

Beth said “yeah I think so to”

“I can’t wait, especially to do it with you guys” I said

We had a group hug. At the moment, off the pitch Beth, Leah and Lia were the closet people to me and it meant a lot to me that I could share my dreams on the pitch with them.