I'll miss you

It’s the morning of the Aston Villa game. We are playing at Meadow Park. I just made a coffee for myself and Beth. I heard her showering. It is rare that she is home but I don’t want things to be awkward. I’m sat at the table looking through my phone when she comes into the kitchen. She said “Morning”

I looked up and smiled. I said “morning, are you ok?”

She said “yeah I’m ok”

“I haven’t seen you much recently” I said

“I didn’t want to rub anything in your face” she said

I said “Beth you wouldn’t be. I ended things remember. Be happy with Viv”

She smiled and said “thanks”

I said “I just hope that we can be friends again like we used to. I know that it will take a bit of time though”

“Me to Dan” she said

The game against Villa didn’t go to plan. They played well and ended up winning the game 2-0.

We did end up qualifying for next seasons champions league. We finished 3rd in the league behind champions Chelsea and runners up Man Utd.

I was forced off late on after being caught late by Hannah Hampton. I hurt my left knee; I’m hoping that it isn’t that serious because of how close the world cup is. I missed all the celebrations with the fans after the game. Thanking them for a great season.

Leah came to check on me after. I was lying on the treatment bed she knocked on the door and came into the room. She sat to the side of me and said “how’s your knee?”

I said “I had some painkillers. It still hurts but they have taken the edge off. They just getting me a brace and I’m going to be on crutches”

“I’m sorry Dani” Leah said

“Why are you sorry? You didn’t injure me” I said

She said “I did a lot to you and I’m sorry” she looked down at the floor.

I sat up, I put my hand on her leg and said “Le, look at me”

She did look up.

I carried on “I know that you’re sorry. I knew you was sorry when it happened. I forgave you already”

She said “I just wish things were different and things never happened”

I looked in her eyes and said “I don’t think it’s the end for us Le” I smiled. She smiled back, I missed her smiling at me.

We both leaned towards each other. I wanted to kiss her. I need to. Just before our lips connected the door was pushed open and Leah move back pretty quickly.

Then I heard Beth say “hey, just came to check on you”

“I’m ok Beth. Have to have a scan tomorrow to find out the extent of it”

I had a scan the next day.

I was in the treatment room at London Colney, Leah walked in. She said “hey, how did it go?”

I said “not great to be honest. I’m going to miss the world cup”

“How bad is it?” she asked

“I have a grade 3 tear of my MCL. I could be out for 8 to 16 weeks. I’m going to have to have surgery to repair it” I said

She said “I’ll be here for you”

I said “thank you. I know you would be but I’ve arranged to have the surgery in Birmingham. I’m going to stay with some friends for a bit. I need to sort my head out Le”

“How long you going away for?” she asked

“I don’t know. I’ll be back in time for preseason maybe before” I said

“I don’t know what to say to that” Leah said

I said “you don’t have to say anything. Call me if you need anything or if you just want to talk. Enjoy your summer” I got up and hugged her. When I pulled away, I said “I’ll miss you Le”

She said “I’ll miss you too Dan”