Trying to be friends

Tonight, we are playing our first game in the Arnold Clark cup against Korea Republic.

After we trained yesterday, I spent the evening with Lucy, Alessia and Tooney. We played FIFA until we got tired and had to go to bed. I know Alessia quite well already as we were in a relationship for a year and a half. But it has been nice getting to know Tooney a bit better. With Beth not being here it helps that there is someone else to laugh with or as Alessia would put it someone to laugh at.

I did spend quite a lot of time on my phone yesterday texting Beth. I just need to make sure that I’m there for her. Even though I have a feeling that her and Viv will probably end it getting back together.

We are playing in Milton Keynes tonight so I know that Leah will be over the moon to be there.

We have just had lunch and we are about to go on our match day walk. I hang back so I’m literally at the back. I started walking on my own, then I felt a hand touch my shoulder and I knew that touch so well. I turned and looked and said “hey Le”

She said “hey, you don’t mind if I walk with you do you”

“Of course, I don’t” I said

“I’m sorry about yesterday, I can’t help but get jealous of Alessia. Everyone is talking about the two of you” Leah said

I replied “saying what”

“That the two of you are getting close and you will end up getting together” she said

I said “and you believe everything that other people say”

“You and her have been talking and laughing together quite a lot” Leah said

“We are just friends Le” I said

“Ok” Leah said

I asked “you excited about playing here tonight”

She answered “yeah and I want to enjoy it but I just can’t seem to bring myself to talk to anyone really. This is probably the longest conversation I have had all camp”

“I will always be here to talk to you. I’m not going to lie to you it’s been hard and the reason that I have spent so much time with Less and Tooney this camp is because I just want to kiss or cuddle you and make everything ok but it’s not that easy is it” I said

“I wish it was. I wish I just pushed her away” Leah said. I could see that her eyes were starting to tear up again.

“I know you do and so do I, why don’t we bin the rest of this walk off and just go and get a drink. Don’t think you really want to do this when your so emotional” I said

“I don’t. I’ll let Sarina know that we are heading back” Leah said

We got back to the hotel and chatted. I feel like we both needed it to prove that we could still be friends. When the other girls got back Jordan and Lucy came over to me and Leah. I felt like Jordan was trying to make a point that it was just her and Leah in the relationship now. It upset me a bit but I will have to learn to deal with it.

Later that night we were in the changing room putting our match kits on. I heard a notification for a text come through on my phone. I checked it.

Beffy- Good luck for tonight. Miss you x

Dani- Thanks. Miss you too. Call you later? X

Beffy- yes please x

I was in the starting line up playing at left back. Leah was starting in place of Kiera who was ill so she wasn’t in the squad tonight.

We were in our starting positions getting ready for the whistle. I saw Leah turn and look at me, we made eye contact and I gave her a small smile which she returned.

The whistle went we were underway.

Lauren James had the first chance of the game but it went slightly wide.

They had an effort a couple of minutes later but it was tame and an easy save for Mary Earps.

Tooney had a shot in the 6th minute but it goes wide.

In the 8th minute Leah is taken out and she stayed down. I ran over to make sure she was ok.

She looked at me and said “I’m ok. Dan” I helped her get back to her feet. The opposing player was shown a yellow card for the challenge.

In the 14th minute Stanway had a shot that was blocked but it went out for a corner.

I go over to take the corner; I play it short to Lauren James who crosses into the box. Millie Bright heads towards goal but it is saved by the keeper, she can’t keep hold of the ball and it falls to Tooney who shoots but it is saved again and put out for another corner. The corner comes to nothing.

Over the next 25 minutes we have a number of shots but we couldn’t capitalize on them.

In the 39th minute Lauren James is fouled in the penalty area. We have a chance to go 1-0 up.

Stanway steps up to take and of course she puts it in the back of the net.

Kelly has an attempt just before the end of the half but the keeper saves it.

We come out for the second half.

Katie Zelem is on for Jess Carter so Leah moves back into defence playing next to me.

A minute after we kick off Leah sees Kelly in space and she plays a beautiful ball to her. Kelly shoots and it goes into the top corner. 2-0 to us.

4 minutes later I get down the left I cross the ball in, it falls to Russo who shoots and it goes in. She runs over to me to celebrate. She jumps into my arms. As the celebration comes to a close I see that Leah didn’t come over. That probably didn’t help her thoughts about me and Lessi.

In the 54th minute I play Georgia through on goal she shoots but it is saved.

5 minutes later Tooney plays a nice ball to Kelly who shoots but its wide of the goal.

We have a corner which I take. I cross it in Stanway is first to it and she hits the crossbar.

Sarina then makes a triple change Daly, Greenwood and Hemp are on for Russo, Kelly and myself.

I sit on the only empty seat that is left on the bench and its next to Jordan.

I can’t concentrate on what is going on in the game because Jordan is talking to me.

“So, what’s with you and Russo” she asked

I replied “I don’t know what your getting at”

“Is she even gay” Jordan asked

I said “why would that even matter”

She said “looks like your making a play for her”

“I’m not. She’s my friend” I said

“are you sure about that” Jordan asked

I said “yes Jord 100%”

Jordan said “I think she likes you”

“I very much doubt that” I said “but it doesn’t matter anyway”

Jordan said “why”

“Because I only like her as a friend. Can we drop it please” I asked

“Yeah sorry” she replied

In the 78th minute Lauren James scored a goal putting us up 4-0

We control the rest of the game.