Christmas

It was the day before Christmas eve. We had had our Christmas meal at Arsenal that was fun.

I had spoken to Viv yesterday and she told me that Beth’s mum had been getting worse. The treatment she was having had completely stopped working so they wanted to have one last Christmas with her and make it a good one. I hated that this was happening to Beth. She didn’t deserve any of this she is one of the best people that I know.

I was sat at the breakfast counter in mine and Leah’s kitchen. I was texting Viv when Leah came in.

She said “Hey, what you doing”

I said “texting Viv”

“how’s June doing” She asked

I replied “Not good babe. It’s pretty bad”

“Oh” Leah said

“’Beth will be ok. She’s strong and Viv is with her” I said

“I know. It just makes you want to make the most of you’re time with family while you can” Leah said

“It does” I said

“So come with me” She asked

I said “What”

“Come spend Christmas with me and our family. You remember what my mum said to you” Leah said

“I don’t know Le, I don’t want to intrude” I said

“You won’t be and I want to spend Christmas with my girl” Leah said with a smile

“Are you sure your family will be ok with it” I asked

She took my hand and said “Our family will be more than ok with it” I smiled at her and she said “you better go and pack some stuff then. We are going later today” Leah said

A couple of days later I am woken up by Leah shouting at me “Dani come on you have to get up it’s Christmas”

I said “are you actually being serious”

She said “yeah why”

“Le, you never get up this early” I said

She said “You have never spent Christmas with me”

I said to her “Am I going to regret this”

She laughed and said “yeah probably but you love me so you are going to get up”

“It’s a good job that I do love you isn’t it” I said

I got up and went downstairs, I sat on the sofa. Leah came in and handed me a cup and said “coffee because I love you”

“Or is it because you want to keep me awake” I said

She laughed and said “yeah that to”

Her mum and dad came down the stairs. As soon as they sat down Leah handed them drinks and said “let’s do presents”

I said “Are you not gonna let them wake up a bit first”

Leah smirked at me, her mum said “no she will not. She’s been like this since she was a kid. Never change bubs”

Leah smiled at her mum and said “I won’t”

Amanda looked at me and said “Good luck. Your going to have to deal with this for the rest of your life”

I smiled, looked at Leah and said “I hope so”

Leah smiled and said “you will”

We took turns opening presents. I had picked a couple of things up for Amanda and David. Amanda said “You didn’t have to get us anything love”

“I know I wanted to though” I said with a smile

David said “thank you”

Amanda and David had got me a couple of gifts too which I didn’t expect.

Leah opened her last present from her parents and it was a grey flat cap that she had asked for. The smile on her face lit up the whole room.

I gave Leah the gifts that I got her except one. I got her some clothes and a couple of pairs of trainers that I knew she had looked at. Leah had gotten me some similar things. A couple of tracksuits and a pair of dunks that I had been looking at.

We got ready for the day. I wanted to wait till we were on our own to give her, her last gift.

We decided to take Bella for a walk. Her mum was still getting ready and her Dad didn’t want to come so it was just us.

We walked through the park. We got to a bench and Leah said do you want to sit down for a bit.

I said yes, so we did. I took her last gift out of my pocket and said “This is for you”

She said “I thought we did gifts”

I said “we did but I missed this one out”

Leah opened it. It was a necklace with her initial and my initial on it. She said “I love it babe. Thank you”

“It’s ok. I love you”

She got something out of her pocket and said “this is for you” I opened it. It was a ring

Leah said “It’s a promise ring. I love you more than anything else in my life. I truly believe that you are my soulmate. I know things have been weird the last couple of weeks. I wish I could tell you what it is but I made a promise. But I want you to know that one day I intend to marry you. Your it for me. You’re my person. You’re my home”

I had tears in my eyes and I said “you don’t need to explain. It has only ever been you for me and it will only ever be you. I love you so much. You don’t understand how thankful I am that you have got me through the last 4 months. You are my family Le and you always will be”

Leah leaned forward to kiss me and I hesitated and said “are you sure you want to do that outside”

She replied “yeah I am. You were right, we’re not a secret. I love you and I don’t care who knows it”

I smiled and we kissed out in public for the first time.

We had dinner at Leah’s nans house. Then we stayed after and played some games and chatted to other family members.

We headed back to Leah’s mums at around 11pm.

I was so tired as Leah woke me up before 7am this morning. We got into bed. I lay on my back, Leah put her head on my chest and I ran my fingers through her hair. I said “Thanks beautiful”

Leah said “for what”

I said “I had the best day today. The first Christmas without Mya and my parents. I thought that today would be hard but you made it the best Christmas I have ever had”

She kissed my cheek and said “I’m glad you did, I had the best Christmas I have ever had too”