Semi-final 1st leg

We are playing the first leg of our Champions league semi final against Wolfsburg in Germany

in a 2.30pm kick off.

We are playing a different formation because of the injuries to some of the players at the club.

It’s a 3-4-3 formation. I’m starting at right wing today. I am also captaining the side again. Again, I was proud to captain the side but I would never of expected to being as I have only been at the club since the start of this season.

We are all ready, I can feel the nerves from the girls. Myself, Lia and Katie try to motivate the team a bit before we kick off.

Both teams start off slow. We are both trying to keep the ball.

In the 7th minute Lia Walti goes down and needs treatment. She has the top of her leg bandaged but she is going to continue. I check on her and she tells me she is ok.

They have quite a lot of the ball and they look comfortable.

In the 12th minute in our first attack of the game. I cross the ball into the box for Stina but it’s too close to the keeper, I should have done better.

They cross the ball in in the 17th minute but there is no danger it goes out for a goal kick.

In the 19th minute Pajor scores after a cross from Jonsdottir drilling it past Zinsberger 1-0 to Wolfsburg.

5 minutes later Zinsberger passes to Rafa who passes back to Beattie but it’s over hit and goes straight to Jonsdottir who is unmarked and she passes it into the back of the net 2-0 Wolfsburg

While they are celebrating, I pull the girls into a huddle and say “we need to shake this off, get back into our shape. We can play these. The game isn’t over”

We go back into our shape and get ready to restart the game.

In the 30th minute we have a free kick, Catley launches it into Wolfsburg’s box but they put it out for a corner.

Catley takes the corner it’s close to Frohms who punches clear. Beattie picks the ball up and shoots but it’s deflected behind for another corner.

Catley takes again. This time Wolfsburg manage to clear their lines.

For the next 10 minutes or so they have a lot of the ball and are passing with confidence but they don’t manage to create anything.

In the 44th minute I carry the ball down my side of the pitch, I loft the ball over to Maanum she drives a shot but it’s straight at the keeper who deflects behind for a corner.

Catley crosses to the back post where Rafa rises the highest and heads into the net. We all run over to celebrate with her. 2-1 now and half time. We are back in it.

The game kicks off for the second half. We pressure them early and we win a corner down the right.

Wolfsburg initially clear their lines but we rework it and I cross in for Beattie but she can’t get enough power on the header and its easy for the keeper.

Wolfsburg commit foul after foul but the ref doesn’t book any of the players. At different times myself, McCabe and Walti all ask the ref questions as to why. This is unbelievable.

They start to gain a lot of possession again but we keep on breaking down their plays.

In the 60th minute McCabe is released down the left but she can’t pick out Stina in the box. But it’s better from us.

In the 67th minute Wassmuth misses a sitter.

2 minutes later Lotte’s through ball releases me in the box, I pass it over to Stina who puts the ball into an open net 2-2. We are level

In the 70th minute Wienroither comes on for Catley.

In the 74th minute Stina holds the ball up well on the half way line and draws a free kick.

2 minutes later Maanum breaks down the left, her cross is headed over the bar by McCabe.

McCabe takes a ball in the face a couple of minutes later but she is tough she will carry on.

Jill Roord has a shot in the 81st minute but she pulls it just wide of the post.

3 minutes later Jonsdottir has a shot but her contact is poor and it’s easy for Zinsberger.

4 minutes of added time.

In the 91st minute Oberdorf fouls Walti. There was no need for it. McCabe is close by and she clashes with Oberdorf after which results in both players being booked.

They walk away and shake hands.

The full-time whistle goes. We are happy with the draw. We take it back to the Emirates in just over a weeks time.