It can happen to anyone

It’s 3 days after the Man United game Beth is currently at an appointment about her knee. Viv has gone with her. Leah and I stayed at my apartment last night. We haven’t even spoken about when I will be moving into her place. We have just been supporting Beth as much as we can.

Me and Leah just got back from training. I’m actually really tired. I haven’t really slept much the last couple days. I drop down onto the sofa. Leah sits down next to me. She says “why don’t you go and have a nap. You were up most of the night”

I said “I can’t. I have to wait for Beth to come back”

Leah said “She will be fine”

“I hope so” I said.

I lay my head on Leah’s shoulder and closed my eyes. I would just rest for a second.

I hear the door shut so I open my eyes. My head is now on a pillow. Leah comes walking in from the hallway. She looked at me and said “Afternoon sleepy head”

“How long did I sleep for” I asked

She replied “a couple of hours. I just went to the shop to get some stuff for dinner for us all. Viv text me they are on their way back”

“Did she tell you how it went” I asked

She said “no. But they won’t be long”

I nodded my head. Leah went and put the stuff in the kitchen. She came back into the living room after 10 minutes with a cup that she handed to me and said “Coffee. I think you need it”

“Thanks” she sat down next to me. She picked the remote up and put the tv on. We were just watching a rerun of some quiz show. I cuddled into her.

Not long after Beth and Viv got back. Beth sat down. Viv said “I’ll go make a drink then you can tell them what was said” Beth nodded.

Viv came back in with a drink for both of them. She sat down on the chair next to the sofa. Beth started “I have ruptured my ACL. We will have to wait till next week to see if I will need surgery but either way I’m out for at least 6 months”

Leah said “I’m sorry mate. I know it’s not the news you wanted”

I didn’t even know what to say. She might miss the world cup in the summer. I hope that she will be back and fit for it. I just looked down shaking my head, I was well and truly gutted for her.

Beth then said “I’ve got some pain meds for now which will help with the pain. I have spoken to the club and they said they are breaking the news today. But now I’m going to go and have a lie down in the bedroom. Leah can I borrow you for a bit”

Leah nodded then she helped Beth get up and go to her bedroom.  

Viv said “she will be ok you know”

“I know” I said

“It doesn’t sound like it” Viv said

I replied “I’m sorry. I’m gutted for her. She’s been in the best form of her life and then this cruelly happens”

Viv said “It’s football Dani, it can happen to anyone”

“I know. I just wish it wasn’t Beth” I said

“Me to but she is strong and we will be there for her. Plus, it will help her be able to go and see her mum a bit more. That’s actually beneficial for her” Viv said

“Yeah, it is” I said

Then Viv asked “When are you moving in with Leah”

“You trying to get rid of me” I said jokingly

“No. I wouldn’t I like you being here. You will always be welcome” Viv said

I smiled “I know. But I don’t actually know I haven’t spoken to Leah. We had the news about Beth’s mum then Beth got injured. I think we both just wanted to be here for her”

“I get it but you can’t put your life on hold. Beth will understand. Life is short” Viv said

“I’ll talk to Leah” I said.

After dinner all I wanted to do was go to bed. The last couple of days have been long.

I shower and put on a pair of joggers and a hoodie. I lift the duvet then slide into bed.

Leah got into bed not long after I did. I was lying on my back she put her head on my chest and her arm around my waist. I ran my fingers through her hair. We just lay in silence for a bit. Then I said “What did Beth want you for”

She said “Nothing. She knew you needed to talk without her there and that you would open up to Viv”

“I would have talked with any one of you” I said

Leah said “I know”

“Viv said that we can’t put our life on hold” I said

Leah lifted up off my chest to look at me and said “What do you mean”

I replied “she said life is too short. So, we should move into together already. I think she’s right Le”

Leah said “As in right away but what about Beth”

“’We will be here for her when she needs us but she has Viv who is her person. You are my person and I want to live with just you”

Leah smiled and said “Ok. We will move you in on our next day off”

I leaned forward and kissed her. She moved back to her position on my chest and not long after I fell asleep.