Telling Leah

We were facing Bayern Munich in the first leg of the quarter final of the Champions league in a 5.45pm kick off.

I have spent a lot of time on my phone today as Beth is struggling to be around Viv at the moment. I wish there was something I could do to help but even if I was there, I know that there is nothing.

We had completed the warm up and I changed into the match kit and I sat down. I still get changed next to Leah so she sat down when she was done and she nudged me and said “Is everything ok, you have been on your phone a lot today and it’s not like you”

“Yeah, it’s just Beth and Viv aren’t getting along at all at the moment and Beth is struggling with it” I said

“Viv spoke to me and said that Beth told her there was someone else” Leah said

“Yeah, she did” I said

Leah said “is there actually someone else though because I haven’t seen Beth with anybody new or is she just making an excuse not to get back with Viv”

I really didn’t want to tell Leah here but I knew I had to tell her soon is she was already saying things like this. Thankfully we were told that it was time to go out to the tunnel.

I said “we will pause this and talk about it later”

“Yeah of course” Leah said

Both me and Leah were in the starting line up, I was playing left back and Leah her usual centre back position.

The game started. Bayern started off the game better than we did.

They had a free kick in the 5th minute but we are able to Shepard it out for a goal kick.

2 minutes later I pass the ball to Foord who carries it forward she shoots from 25 yards out. It hits a defenders arm we claim but the ref says no penalty.

In the 10th minute Foord crosses into the box, Stina heads towards goal but it’s just over the bar.

4 minutes later McCabe crosses in from the right but it’s poor and is on the roof of the net.

We are starting to build a lot of momentum and Bayern are struggling with it.

In the 20th minute Bayern are scrambling with the ball in their area Maanum is able to get a shot away but a defender gets in the way.

3 minutes later Bayern have only their second shot of the game but it goes past the far post.

Stanway shoots in the 25th minute but it’s well wide.

3 minutes later Wienroither commits a foul they have a chance but Leah manages to get the ball away.

In the 31st minute this time Leah with the mistake Schuller shoots but it’s right at Zinsberger and she saves.

3 minutes later I play a long ball over the top for Stina she gets a shot away but it is blocked.

In the 39th minute I can’t stop the cross from my player and Schuller heads towards goal and it goes into the top corner. 1-0 Bayern

We have a chance almost immediately through Foord but she had a lot to do s the pass from Maanum wasn’t great. Bayern manage to get the ball away.

In the 45th minute Schuller gets in between Leah and Rafa but her shot is just wide of the goal.

In the second half we want to carry on the way we have been playing as we feel like we have been the better team even though we are 1-0 down at the moment.

We get underway and we do start off well.

In the 49th minute Foord is late on Lohmann and she gets booked.

Stina has a shot blocked in the 51st minute but the ball is released to Schuller and she only has Leah and Rafa to deal with as we pushed so many players up but they both manage to get back and clear the danger between them.

In the next minute I see that Foord is free on the outside of the area, I pass to her she shoots and it comes off the post.

Foord has another shot in the 55th minute but the keeper saves it.

3 minutes later they are able to get across in again from my side but it goes all the way across the box but Schuller is there to shoot but Leah gets across and blocks it out to safety.

In the 60th minute Pelova comes on for Wienroither. She will play on the right wing; Katie comes over to left back and I go over to my usual right back position.

A minute later Stina has a shot cleared off the line by defender. There’s a big question mark but we all think that it was over the line. The ref says no.

In the 67th minute McCabe goes for goal but it curls past the far post.

Foord shoots in the 69th minute but the shot is blocked and goes out for a corner.

McCabe swings the ball in Foord nods the ball back for Leah who shoots but it’s off the line again.

3 minutes later there is a big challenge on Schuller from McCabe she slides in and wins the ball. Schuller would have been through on goal.

Straight down the other end Maanum gets a shot away but it’s an easy save from the keeper.

In the 79th minute Foord has another shot blocked by a defender.

Then the make a sub schuller goes off injured. That’s a blow for them she has been their best player tonight.

Lohmann gets booked a minute later for not giving the ball back after they commit a foul.

In the 81st minute Stina is replaced with Kuhl.

In the 86th minute we have sent a lot of players up the pitch and leave Rafa isolated. They manage to get a shot away but Zinsberger saves.

Then the whistle goes not long after.

Bayern win 1-0 but we still have the return leg at the emirates to go.

Later on, when we get back to the hotel, I text Leah.

Dani- I need to talk to you. Any chance you have some time now x

Leah- yeah, come to my room. Kim is with Jen and Steph x

Dani – ok, I’ll be 5 minutes x

When I get to Leah’s room the door is open, she is sitting on the bed. I go in and close the door I said “hey”

She said “hey”

I sat down at the other end of her bed and said “we need to finish the conversation from earlier” she looked a bit confused. So I said “the one about Beth”

She said “ok”

“You asked earlier if Beth was actually seeing someone” I said

Leah said “yeah because the only person I ever see her with is you”

She looked at me and I think that it clicked but I had to say it anyway “we are seeing each other. I wanted to tell you before anyone else found out. I still care for you and I owe it to you to tell you”

She said “are you happy”

I nodded and said “yeah Le, I am”

“I’m happy for the both of you. I still care for you too” Leah said

I smiled and said “I know this is a big ask but I want to tell Jordan”

“I won’t tell her” she said

I said “thank you” I scooted towards her and I hugged her.