Chapter 48 - Just A Little Longer

Third Person

The soft hues of a golden sunrise painted a peaceful canvas across the sky, casting a serene glow that whispered of the promise of a new day. Lisa found herself seated on an old wooden bench - its weathered surface telling tales of time gone by, resting underneath the shed of a tree near the edge of a lake shimmering and reflecting the soft glow of the sun. Gentle breeze carrying a delicate fragrance, a blend of fresh earth after the rain, blossoming flowers, and the subtle scent of water with a soothing touch as if nature itself was trying to comfort her. A long-lost peace of mind engulfed her.

Her hair swayed gently in the breeze as she looked across the empty space, and there, sitting beside her was her dad. Time seemed to slow down, amplifying every moment. The corners of his lips curled into a gentle smile as he look at the breathtaking view before them. The surreal sight of her dad's presence beside her triggered a flood of memories, like a quick run down her memory lane, transporting her back to her cherished moments from childhood with him.

In her mind's eye, she saw herself as a young girl, her tiny hand clutching her father's much larger one. Chasing after butterflies, their laughter blending with the sound of rustling leaves. She almost felt the warmth of her father's hand around hers, safe and sound.

Flashback continued to play in Lisa's mind, each scene more vivid than the next. The first ride on her bike without the training wheels - her dad's steady hands guiding her and cheering her to keep going without her noticing that he's no longer holding the back of her bike.

The memory shifted to a cool autumn day, with the trees around the lake painted in vibrant colors of red, orange, and yellow. Gathering fallen leaves and piling them up high and jumping into it with giddy laughter and pure joy echoing through the air.

Lisa's mind lingered on those precious moments, savoring each frame. The surreal scene of her father captures the love, warmth, and joy they shared when she was just a little girl.

"Dad," Lisa whispered, her voice quivering with emotion. "I've missed you so much."

A bittersweet smile curved across her dad's face as he looked at Lisa, "I've missed you too, my little monkey," he replied, his voice carrying the familiar softness she had longed to hear.

He reached out and gently placed a hand on her shoulder, "I'm always with you, Love." and pointed his finger towards her heart, "Right there, where I will always be a part of you."

Lisa leaned in and hug her dad, cherishing the warmth of his presence. "I miss you every day, Dad," she whispered. "I wish things were different." Tears welled up in Lisa's eyes and poured her emotions out as she held tight to her father, letting the tears flow freely.

Her dad squeezed her tightly and pat her back, "Lisa, listen to me," he softly said as he pull away slightly to meet her gaze. "It's not on you..."

"... I wish things were different too, but life has its twists and turns, and sometimes things are beyond our control." Her father's gaze turned gentle brushing away the tears from her cheek. "Don't do this to yourself, little monkey."

"Don't worry too much," her father continued. "You'll be fine."

"How can I be fine without you, Dad?" Lisa choked out the words through her tears.

Her father gave her a knowing smile and said, "You have so much of me within you, Lisa."

"I want you to promise me one thing," he said. "Don't burden yourself with guilt or regret."

Lisa's tears continued to flow as she shook her head, her voice choked with emotion. "But I can't help it, Dad. I feel like there's more I could have done. I wish I could fix everything."