Chapter 38 - Hiding...me

Lisa POV

As the clock struck half past six, I realized that I had extended my time at work a little longer than usual. I quickly wrapped up the task I was working on, gathered my things, and headed out of the office. It had been a long day, and I couldn't wait to spend some quality time with Jennie.

I have been counting down the days until I could finally see her again.

While walking to my car I decided to call Jennie to let her know that I'm on my way. It took a few rings before she get to answer my call. "Hey, Nini! Guess what? I'm on my way to see you!" I exclaimed excitedly as I get inside my car.

Jennie's response was delayed, and I could hear a lot of noise from people talking in the background. Aren't they done for the day? "Lili, sorry you were saying?"

"Oh yeah, I'm on my w-" she interrupted me mid-sentence when she speaks up again. "Mmhmm, I'll be there in a bit," Jennie sounded like she was in a hurry. "I'm sorry Lili, I have to go. Talk to you later?"

"Oh, okay. I lov-"

"Bye," disappointment crept over me as she hung up abruptly, leaving me feeling dejected. I've been looking forward to this moment for days and expecting Jennie to be just as excited as I am, turns out not.

***

The traffic was heavy, the street is crowded with people on their way home from a long tiring day which made the drive longer than usual. The trees are turning different shades of orange, red, and yellow, and leaves are starting to fall. Season has changed.

As I drive down the road I decided to call my Mom to check on how she was doing, I tried to sound far from how Miyeon and I talked this morning. My mom already went through a lot, and I don't want to add up as a burden. So, I keep it cool, doing it like a pro, telling her not to worry too much, everything will be alright and Dad will soon wake up. She gave me some updates about Dad and tried to convince me again to be there. Not that I don't want to see them but I just can't leave everything here and do nothing there. I scoffed to myself when I realized that, yeah that's an excuse. I can't see him now, not yet, not now.

I hate it when I come to the point of hoping, it feels like it's slowly killing me knowing that it can make or break you in the end. But that's the only thing that we can do, hope. Hope for the situation to be better.

I've got my favorite playlist on to shake things off, and let the music fill my car with positive energy. I'm singing along, feeling completely carefree, "...this is meeeeee praying that..." and living in the moment, escaping my reality.

I put my windows down as I drive down the road, the cool breeze hits my face, and I can't help but feel a sense of freedom and liberation. Just like when I'm gliding in the sky "... My thoughts will echo your name until I see you again..."

The streets are quiet, and the only sounds I hear are the rustling of leaves and the occasional honk of a distant car "...as I was leaving too soon, I was enchanted to meet you ohhhh..."

"... please don't be in love with someone e-else..." Tapping my fingers on the steering wheel while my elbow is resting on the window.

Oh, this feels good...

I pass a street lined with coffee shops, and I decide to stop at one. I grab a warm latte and sip on it as I drive, and it's the perfect road trip start-up kit for me - cold night breeze, hot coffee, and a Taylor Swift song, would have been better if I have my favorite passenger beside me, but this will do... for now.

Anticipation began to surge through me as I approached Jennie's place. I excitedly rang the bell, but to my dismay, there was no response. I tried a few more times, hoping that maybe she didn't hear the first time, and even called her in between but still got no answer, not even on her phone.