Chapter 37 - No Clue

🎶SOMEONE - FUTURE OF FORESTRY🎶

Third Person

Lisa sat at the kitchen island, her eyes fixed on the screen of her Mac as she talked to Jennie over FaceTime. Jennie's sweet gummy smile and gentle voice engulfed her, making her forget about the weight of her worries for a moment. She absentmindedly stirred her coffee, lost in the comfortable familiarity of Jennie's company.

The warm glow of the morning light streamed in through the window, casting a peaceful atmosphere over the room. The sound of their laughter and conversation filled the space with a sense of joy and comfort. For a while, Lisa felt like she could forget about everything else and just be in the moment with her Angel. Her breath of fresh air. Someone who lights the way for her.

But the peace was short-lived when Lisa's phone rang, interrupting their conversation. Miyeon's name flashed on the screen, and Lisa's heart dropped into her stomach.

"Nini, sorry, but I need to take this call," Lisa said with a thin smile, covering the worry in her voice. "Yep, I'll call later," Lisa replied before taking the call.

"Hey Miyeon," Lisa said, trying to sound composed despite her pounding heart. "What's up?"

Miyeon's voice was soft and gentle, but Lisa could hear the concern in her tone. "Just calling to check on you, how are you holding up?" she asked.

"I'm managing," Lisa replied, attempting to mask her vulnerability. Miyeon let out a deep sigh before talking. "Hang in there, okay?"

"Mmmmhmm, I'm okay."

"T-thanks for looking after my parents, Miyeon." Lisa said while softly scratching the edge of her Mac's sticker.

Lisa couldn't help but feel the weight of the situation, and her voice was almost like a whisper as she asked about her parents. "How's my Mom and... Dad?" Lisa asked, hoping for some good news.

"She's holding on, but she's really worried about your dad. She keeps asking when you're coming," Miyeon said gently, her voice full of concern.

Lisa felt a pang of guilt in her chest. She knew that she had been avoiding the situation, but the thought of seeing her father in such a vulnerable state made her feel weak.

"And your Dad..." Miyeon hesitated for a moment, "...still the same, no progress. I think it's time for you to come here and be with your Mom."

The lump in Lisa's throat grew as she struggled to hold back her tears. "I know, but I'm not ready to face this yet, Miyeon. What if... what if he's just waiting for me?" she asked, trying not to crack her voice as looked up to prevent her tears to fall from her welling eyes.

Miyeon's voice came through the phone, calm and reassuring. "Don't say that. There is still hope."

Lisa sat on the floor leaning on the kitchen island, clutching her phone tightly as she spoke to Miyeon. "I can't lose him too, Miyeon," she said trying her best to fight back her tears.

Lisa couldn't shake the feeling of dread that had settled in the pit of her stomach. She knew that her father was strong, but the thought of losing him was almost too much to bear. Tears began to stream down her face as she spoke. "I just can't bear the thought of losing him, Miyeon," Lisa said. "I know that I am used to not being on his side but I know that he's still there. I can expect that he will come home after being away for so long but..."

"... the thought of losing him forever. I -I can't take it. I can't even imagine what life would be like without him." The emotional weight of the situation had left Lisa's voice choked with sobs, making it difficult to speak.