Chapter 56 - Yes

5 years later...

After five years, life moved forward for each of them. Lisa got her life back on track, continuing the legacy of her parents by pursuing her dream of becoming a successful restaurant owner. From the shattered and lonely soul she once was, she had come a long way, rebuilding herself piece by piece. Although some days were still shadowed by pain and grief, Lisa learned to carry them like an old scar - no longer causing her to stumble or hold her back, but rather serving as a reminder of how she got through it all.

Lisa arrived at the restaurant and went straight to the busy kitchen, where the heart and soul of her dream lay - a place that now felt like her second home. Filled with the sound of pots and pans, the sizzling of ingredients, and the chatter of her well-coordinated team moving in sync. Looking at them with pride and gratitude, Lisa can't help but smile knowing that all the hardships and challenges they faced together have led them to this moment of success.

By embracing the unknown Lisa was able to create a meaningful life filled with purpose and joy. The decision to let go of her past was not an easy one, but it opened doors to a world of new experiences, opportunities, and incredible people who enriched her life beyond measure - especially her.

Flashback...

Sitting alone at the bar counter, staring at her phone screen saying 8 voicemails from Jennie. Part of her wanted to call her back, but another part knew that it was not a good idea.

With trembling hands, she pressed play on the first voicemail. Jennie's voice echoed in her ears, filled with pain and longing. Each word cut through her like a knife. "I'm losing it, Lisa... Come back, please..." The pain in her voice was undeniable.

Months ago, Lisa would only wash her guilt away by convincing herself that Jennie deserve all the pain for what she did - some twisted satisfaction in hearing Jennie's suffering. Hearing Jennie being hurt was like revenge fulfillment, music to her ears confirming that she made a mark on her.

Lisa's initial plan was to keep her phone service active just to hear Jennie's voice, waiting for confirmation that she made the right decision by ending their relationship. She wanted to hear Jennie's confession of cheating, to justify her own hurt and anger. Lisa wanted closure and confirmation of Jennie's betrayal, but all she found was a shattered person calling her every day, begging for answers as if she had no idea what had caused their relationship to fall apart.

Time passed by and those voicemails that once were filled with satisfaction now brought feelings of guilt and unease and eventually became a need. A need to hear her voice, to hold on to connection, to settle for the at least she got to hear her voice. Some days were light - just Jennie sharing weird stuff, some days were asking her to be strong and that she was not alone, but most of the days are filled with longing, regret, asking for answers, and desperately asking for her to come back.

The last voicemail hit Lisa. Hard. Jennie's voice choked with sobs, "Lisa...This is stupid, right? I... I don't even know if you're hearing all this. Lili, I'm... I'm still waiting... But if you want me to let go, please tell me... Tell me to let you go... You have to tell me to stop waiting... 'cause I-I can't... I can't."

Gripping her phone tightly, Lisa made a tough decision. She shouldn't let her keep waiting for someone who will never come back, nor let pain hold them back from moving forward. It's time to cut the last connection tying her to Jennie. She wanted to call Jennie back and tell her to let go, to stop waiting but she can't bring herself to do it, so Lisa end up doing the most cowardly thing she could think of - request to cut her phone service.

It felt like cutting off a lifeline, and tears welled up in her eyes realizing that she will never hear her voice again. Cutting her phone service meant closing a chapter in her life, truly leaving everything behind, and moving forward without Jennie.