Chapter 40 - White Lies?

Jennie POV

I froze the moment Lisa jumped onto him. My mind raced with a mix of emotions - confusion, shock, and anxiety - all at once.

Memories of our past flooded my mind, reminding me of the pain and heartbreak that I went through. I can't believe that he's here, standing in front of me, after all these years. And to make things worse, Lisa was ecstatic to see him.

I watched as they hugged each other, Lisa jumping in excitement. Taehyung's eyes briefly met mine, and I could see the same shock and confusion in his gaze. He quickly looked away and pulled away from Lisa's embrace when Jisoo speaks up from behind.

"Surprise, surprise Monkey!" She said with a smile and held her hand up to greet me. My mind was still reeling from the shock of seeing Taehyung here, but I mustered up a smile and greeted Jisoo.

Lisa turned to me to introduce V, smiling widely with a glimmer in her eyes. "By the way Jennie, this is Taehyung, our childhood friend."

"Hi," I said trying to keep my voice steady forcing a smile on my face.

"Hi," He greeted and returned a smile, but I could tell that it was also forced.

Lisa wrapped her arm around my shoulder, "Oppa, this is Jennie my --" Lisa was interrupted when Seulgi shouted from the driveway.

"Told you she'd be happy to see him here," walking towards us, arm wrapped around Irene's shoulder. "Hey Jennie, hope we didn't interrupt anything," and all I can do is force smile for the nth time and shake my head no, trying to hide the mix of emotions building up inside me.

"Hey girl, I missed you," Irene said as she walked toward me and pulled me into a tight hug.

"I missed you too, Irene. W-where's Rosie?" I said scratching the corner of my eyebrow. Trying to avoid V's glances while talking to Lisa and Seulgi. "I heard her earlier on the phone," I added, hiding the awkwardness in my voice.

"She's with Kookie, getting some food for our dinner. Is it okay if we spend the night here?" Oh, I'll be damned! I felt even more anxious hearing that they were planning to spend the night here.

"Oh, o-of course!" I couldn't say no even though I wanted to say no. "By the way, who's Kookie?" I asked confused about the unfamiliar name.

"Jungkook's here too?" Lisa interjected excitedly with her eyes wide open. "Omo, this is turning out to be quite a reunion!" She exclaimed, not noticing the tense atmosphere between me and V.

Jisoo discreetly walked towards me with her hands inside her pockets, "Are you okay, Jendeuk? You seem a bit off." she whispered while our friends are busy catching up.

"Yeah, I'm okay," I lied.

"Sure?" Jisoo asked again and turned in front of me blocking my view of everyone and looking straight into my eyes.

"Y-yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I said, trying to convince myself more than her.

"You don't look okay, and I know you too well," she persisted looking down at my hands. "You're fidgeting your nails."

"I am fine, really," I reiterated, keeping my eyes glued to the ground, avoiding eye contact. "I'm just surprised to see you guys here, that's all."

"We'll just book a hotel room after dinner," Jisoo said ruffling my hair and giving me a tight smile. "I know this is the only time for Lisa and you to catch up after a week apart."

"No, it's okay. You guys can stay here. It's perfect timing for us to catch up too." I wrapped my arms around her and gave her a tight hug. "I've missed you guys too," I added, finding a little comfort from the moment she hugged me back.