Chapter 58 - What if?

Third person

Overlooking the serene Sicilian landscape from her balcony, the calming sight of the blue sea stretched out before her while the soft, golden rays of the morning sun gently kissed Lisa's face. But the peaceful, quiet view before her was a contrast to the whirlwind of thoughts and emotions swirling inside her. This breathtaking view never failed to give her comfort every morning, sipping her steaming cup of coffee, but today was different. Her thoughts were thousands of miles away, focused on meeting her old friends she left 6 years ago without a single word.

Lisa's fingers traced the mouth of her coffee cup, as the memories of laughter, stolen glances, and shared dreams rushed back to her mind, reminding her of the days when she and Jennie were inseparable. "Is she going to react like Jisoo when we meet again? Will there be awkwardness? Nah, she might just kill me right away for abandoning her for all those years," Lisa thought to herself.

"Are you gonna be okay?" Diana asked appearing beside Lisa, breaking her out of her reverie.

Lisa turned to Diana with a weak smile, "Please tell me, we are making the right decision." Lisa said having second thoughts, afraid of the potential consequences of facing her past.

Diana looked at Lisa with reassuring eyes, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. "You can't run away from your past forever, Lisa. It's time to go home and confront those unresolved issues."

Lisa blow out a deep breath and nodded as she gripped the edge of the balcony railing. "Come with me, please?" Lisa pleaded.

Diana shook her head slightly, " I can't leave the restaurant at this moment, you got this Lisa," she said.

Stepping back from the balcony, Lisa knew deep down that Diana was right, no more running away.

Her trip to Seoul was a combination of anxiety, excitement, and self-reflection. Counting how many possible slaps she might receive from all of them. Rehearsing greeting each of them and mentally preparing for any possible confrontation that may arise, composing her apologies and explanations in her head. Lisa's mind was consumed with thoughts and scenarios.

Replaying imaginary conversations she might have with Jennie at the wedding, the apologies she's been meaning to say for years, and the hope for understanding and forgiveness she wished to receive.

Soon as the plane touched down in Seoul, Lisa's heart raced with anxiety once again. The reality of her decision is now sinking in, and she knew there's no turning back now.

Right after checking in to her hotel, Lisa went straight to her parents' resting place.

"Hey Mom, Dad, it's been what? 2 years since I last visited you both?" her fingers lightly grazing the glass, looking at their photos inside. Lisa removed the flower from the flower holder beside her parents' niche and replace it with fresh ones. "I wonder who's visiting you now," she whispered under her breath.

"I miss you both, so, so, so much," Lisa's voice trembled, tears welling up in her eyes while remembering all the memories she shared with her parents. The days she wished to experience again with them, the waves of laughter that filled their home, dinner conversations, her Dad's jokes which most of the time makes her eyes roll, and her mom's comforting hugs that always seemed to make everything better. "I wish I could have one more chance to tell you how much I love you but I know you know wherever you are."

"I made it Mom, Dad... I hope you're proud of me," Lisa mumbled, wiping her tears away. "Because I'm proud of what I've become, and it's all because of you. I know you both are watching over me and guiding me every step of the way." Lisa took a deep breath and looked up.