➤ The Wench

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

╔══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ══════╗

Chapter 10

╚══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ══════╝

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

             "Women are deemed bad luck in the ship."

She looked at him remembering his words at the galley, unsure of how the people in the crew of the ship would react if they found out about the bad luck that had boarded with them. She just earned the pity of the captain of this ship, and if the truth will be out what will happen to her. 

Surely, those pearls are enough to get her out of such misery; that is her only hope. She doesn't know what the punishments are for lying in this ship, or for being a supposed bad omen. I

f she is to be found out, what will happen to her?

"Am I going to be thrown out?" She asked meekly, looking at him with worried eyes. 

Calev stared at her with confusion, averting his attention from treating her wounds. He suddenly felt the strong pull inside him again. The worry and fear in her eyes gave him an unpleasant reaction.

"Captain is not superstitious." He simply shrugged, always the small talk he goes with. She nodded and swallowed the lump on her throat. 

She is still unsure of her faith even if the captain himself assured her that she won't be tied up in the mast anymore and wont be treated as somehow like a prisoner. Instead he told her to relax as she will be treated as one of them. 

However worry still consumes her, together with fear.

"But the... how about him?" She continued, her mind wandering to a certain person. The person who wanted her off the ship since the very beginning. 

The dark brown eyes that always darkened whenever he looked at her. The certainty of his judgment about her, his trance, his voice, his eyes. He just scared her so much. 

"The quartermaster." She finished when Calev stared at her, trying to understand what she was saying.

He shrugged again in response, fully turning his attention to the wound ignoring the girl's concern, "He's not the captain." He just muttered while applying some herbal ointment he grinded earlier.

And

"I'll stop him myself." He continued, surprising himself hoping she didn't hear him.

He took himself by surprise, not expecting that such a promise is capable of coming out of his mouth. It's unexplainable on his part, that despite the foreignness of the words lying strange in his tongue, it felt right.

 As if this person, completely unknown from his whole life, is recognizable by someone within him. There is just something in her that reminded him of someone he doesn't even know. Similarly from her situation, Calev has no memories of his past-or at least he chose not to remember it. 

His life that he knows is the cruel and barbaric venture of survival between himself and his demon, that made him forget everything about him. Everything is blurred in his life, the memories of which visit him through his dreams are served with no explanation.

Yet she reminded him of someone.

Although her mind wandered long, her eyes could not take itself off from Calev and his actions. She remembers how quiet he was in two days, barely speaking a word to her while she was under his watch. 

None was changed, he still never talks but seeing him do this things quite left an impression on her. She doesn't remember most of the things so she wondered if pirates are supposed to be kind. 

To her conception, pirates are the people that do violence motivated crimes, looting every ship and towns, selfish and cruel. In the closed memories of hers that allows her to gain knowledge of the world but her life, she did not expect such gentleness and kindness from the man that she heard to be the most fearsome one.

The stowaway has no intention of believing such words from what she had heard when all she had witnessed from this mind are pure goodwill. He could have acted the same way as the quartermaster, or perhaps he can just ignore her but he acted differently from everyone.

Was it because it was ordered by the doctor, or did he pity her?

They do share the same situation, and perhaps the reasons why this strange pull that made him act so much different for her, is because he sees himself in her. 

No past and memories, he just simply sees himself in her.

" I heard..." She swallowed the lump in her throat, shaking at the courage she found. " I heard, you have no memories."

He did not answer.

" It's scary, isn't it?" The stowaway continued to talk, looking at nothing but her hands that were trembling either from fear or sadness. " Not knowing who you are."

He did not answer.

But in that moment, he realized that the one who recognized her was not him. In the words of her that greatly affected his composure. The pull that he had been feeling became stronger, finding her crushing feelings and emotions fueling his anger. 

The anger that is kept by the beast inside him. As if it was a cry for help, that demon recognized what he couldn't.

And that shall remain.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━