➤ The Mad Treasure's Mysteries

╔══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ══════╗

Chapter 15

╚══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ══════╝

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Argus who disagreed first with him losing his right to his own room moved into Felix and Draco's room finding the situation funny. He started teasing Calev, spreading gossip about how the combatant never looked at any wench because he actually fancy a lad. 

Which only made Calev chase him all around the ship, hunting him for his mouth.

She was reluctant about the way Argus left the cabin for her, decided to understand and obeyed instead of disagreeing with Calev's decision, she had reckoned that she felt safe at the proximity of the combatant after all he is the only one who knows who she really is.

" What are you doing here, Calev's going to get the wrong idea." Argus immediately scolded the stowaway when she suddenly appeared in the crows nest, still hanging in the shrouds. 

Her hands tightly holding the ropes as she wishes for the gods that can hear her that she won't fall. She forced herself to climb through the shrouds despite of how dangerous it can be, he wanted to meet Argus.

" I'm sorry." She said, her breathing becoming uneven by her uncomfortable situation. 

" But can you please help me, I think I'm going to fall." She begged.

Argus snickered at her desperate plea, before pulling her by the waist securely and letting her step in the cramped crows nest. Argus could not help but think about how the shape of her body against his hands, despite the clothes around her he felt the softness of it-so far from being a man.

" Calev's going to think I'm tricking you again." Argus rolled his eyes, he desperately scanned the deck below them in hopes that there was no combatant around.

" I wanted to see you." She whispered, suddenly feeling embarrassed by her words.

Argus smirked, a mischievous glint in his eyes directly looking at her. " Oh, really? Am I that attractive that even a lad had fallen for me."

She looked at him uncertain of what reaction she must give. For all the days that she had come to like his company, she sometimes can't still stand how flirty he is. But the stowaway will never voice that out, he is still a pirate.

" No." She kindly denied, which made Argus' expression fall playfully to tease her. " Its... I mean-I uh."

Argus laughed loudly at her reaction, the redness of her cheeks could not be hidden by anything even if she desperately covered her face with her two hands. The rich and loud voice of his laughter is probably heard towards the decks. 

" You don't have to reject me so seriously, I know my mate has put a mark on you." He winked at her.

" No." She repeated, this time lowly, unsure of what Argus meant with his statement. " I came to apologize for taking your cabin." She gave him a sincere look, hoping that what Calev had decided wouldn't tarnish the blowing friendship she has with this man.

The laughter in Argus reaction only erupted loudly, telling her that there was nothing to be worried of and he rather found it amusing. If he is being honest, Calev's interests, interests him too. 

" It's alright, savvy? Besides, this is the first time I have seen Calev give any interest to anyone besides murdering them." he said nonchalantly, making the stowaway flinch at the mention of violence. 

Her mind picturing the face of the combatant that he only sees the kindness in, acts on killing people.

" Are you always that close with him?" She asked without thinking. Before she could take back her question, Argus gave him the biggest smile she had ever seen from him.

Argus did not hesitate to tell her about his friendship not only with Calev, but to everyone in the ship. Highlighting the fact that not only he is the favorite crew member of everyone, but also Calev's- the stoic, brooding, and said to be the most dangerous one-best mate. 

In which she could not deny, proven by the scene she had witnessed from them. Despite how much tried to push him away, scare him, or treat him brashly. 

Calev still lets him annoy him regardless of his reaction to Argus, he will continue to chase him down if he gets too annoyed but he will never do anything to actually stop the man's pestering.

Argus shared how he valued human relationship, how camaraderie had always been his priority especially in the ship where she lived with men that shared the adventures he too took. For him trust and loyalty is the biggest thing that he can offer and receive.

As big as the trust the people in the ship had given to him, no one can measure how big he gives those back. Argus always gives back double, in friendship, in loyalty, in trust, he gives more than what is needed.

There is something that was hiding in his eyes however when he was telling her all of these things. As if, those are the things he wishes not to show. 

The darkened color of his once gray eyes catches the glimpse of what the latter he can give. She did not recognize what could it, all she knows is despite how excited he was telling her all of these there was a hint of sadness in his voice.

Yet, just like always she did not say anything about it.

" Argus, a meeting with the captain. Vast ahoy!" The loud voice of the quartermaster surprised her in the afternoon. 

The two of them looked at one another, a laugh coming out his lips before helping her up. They both climbed down the nest, with her in his arms as she tried her best not to let his hands wander into the place that can identify what she is hiding.

In the deck awaits that stern quartermaster who looked at her with cold eyes, as always. Immediately, she lost her courage and felt small under the eyes of the man. With nothing to say, instead of ordering her around, she bid herself from Argus when Elijah had given her another job in the heat of the afternoon. 

She watches them walk towards the quarterdeck, entering the captain's cabin into the office. The look in Argus' eyes remained in her mind, the sound of his voice was still heard from where she stood. 

In the breeze of the sea wind, she felt the riddle it carries towards her. The enigma that surrounds not only the combatant that she wishes to solve, this ship she boards with the men she watches everyday work for their daily life. 

They too have riddles, the Mad Treasure and its people are mysterious.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━