➤ The Unravel

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

╔══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ══════╗

Chapter 39

╚══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ══════╝

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

          After the intense confrontation, their emotions ranged from anger, disappointment, and frustration. The two parties couldn't afford to harbor any resentment; they had to relentlessly pursue the individual they were chasing. Every moment was crucial, as the man they sought was rapidly increasing the distance between them.

Erwin struggled to comprehend his feelings of failure. The Pirate King had been within his grasp, an opportunity to exact revenge and settle long-overdue debts. However, the King had slipped away, leaving Erwin feeling vulnerable. It was evident that their differences were substantial; attacking without a proper strategy was unwise. Yet, Erwin's impatience to avenge his father's murderer urged him forward. What he required was a pawn, a hostage.

Axel's vulnerability.

"I told you that woman is mine!" Landon vehemently asserted, brandishing his sword perilously close to Erwin's neck.

Erwin remained resolute at the helm, his hands skillfully guiding the wheel in his relentless pursuit of the mad treasure, even as Landon's sword loomed dangerously. Erwin was single-minded in his quest for the Pirate King, undeterred by the immediate threat to his life.

"If that woman is indeed the Pirate King's vulnerability, I'll have to secure her," Erwin muttered ominously, completely disregarding the alliance they had forged.

"Are you being utterly foolish, boy? How many times must I emphasize that the woman does not belong to Axel? You won't gain access to him through her," Landon lamented in frustration, growing weary of arguing with someone who seemed deaf to reason.

"Everyone has a vulnerability," Erwin countered.

Landon's frustration boiled over, and he stomped around the deck in exasperation. He couldn't fathom how he ended up allying with such a heedless young man. "We had an agreement, have you forgotten? I clearly stated that I would lend you my men to capture Axel, as long as I get that woman."

Erwin's patience wore thin, his intense gaze bearing down on Landon. He had enough on his plate, feeling the weight of desperation and impatience, and the last thing he needed was someone harping on his plans.

" I will take any means, vile pirate!" Erwin insulted.

Landon nodded in resigned disbelief, realizing that arguing further with Erwin made little sense. He left Erwin alone on the deck, determined to continue his pursuit of the Pirate King's ship. The captain of the Red Merchant's pirates chose not to dwell on Erwin or the shattered alliance any longer. The mayor's son had become consumed by his thirst for vengeance, and Landon no longer saw any utility in the man. The anger he felt towards Erwin solidified his decision; once their agenda was complete, he would exact his revenge and eliminate Erwin.