002. how a team works

"A popular theory among leading astrophysicists estimates that the hyper matter reactor would need about 10 to the 32nd jewels of energy to destroy a planet the size of earth. Now, Lucas said it took 19 years to built the first Death Star, right? But if you look at the new essential chronology, there's a testbed prototype for a super laser that spans--"

"Where are you going?" Spencer asks when Derek gets up and starts to walk away.

"Taking back the last 5 minutes of my life." The older man states.

"You can't go in there." Spencer says, noticing Derek head for Rossi's office.

"Don't you want to know about this guy?" Derek asks.

"I do." Emily gets up and follows.

"Yep." Bedelia is right behind them.

"Got it all memorized -- his books, his bio." Spencer says.

"Yeah, books have sold over a million copies." Derek says.

"So?" Spencer asks, stopping at the bottom of the stairs.

"That's a million reasons not to come back, if you know what I'm saying." Derek says, rubbing his fingers together.

"Huh." Emily hums as the three walk into the office. "Taupe walls. That's a negative color. Cold, distant. You know, emotionally, taupe is linked to loneliness and the desire to escape from the world."

"I just figured the guy's walls would be covered with plaques and commendations." Derek says.

"Huh. Maybe he doesn't want to be reminded of past victories." Emily says. "It's a new chapter for him."

"What happened to the moratorium on inter-team profiling, guys?" Spencer asks, standing by the door.

"Come on, Reid, team? I don't think this guy knows the meaning of the word." Derek says. "I mean, we already know ten times more about Bedelia than we do him -- and she works with us."

"Relax, you still don't know half of me." Bedelia quietly laughs.

"What?" Derek asks.

"What, because you've told me everything?" She questions.

"Touche." Derek nods. "But this dude's told us nothing."

"I can assure Garcia's already done some sort of search on him." Bedelia says.

"Why?" Emily asks.

"Pretty sure she does it on any new member. I walked in on her searching me." Bedelia says making Emily quietly laugh.

"Oh, I found something." Derek picks a painting up. "Looks like some type of religious art." He says as Spencer walks over.

"Welcome the dark side." Bedelia smiles at the genius who still appears very uncomfortable.

"Original, maybe?" Derek shrugs. "Definitely expensive." He lets Spencer take it.

"It's renaissance art." Spencer notes. "If that's original..." He inspects it.

"Is it?" Emily excitedly whispers.

"I don't know, it's kinda hard to tell. Means he's into the classics."

"What else?" Bedelia asks.

"Uh, Italian, strict Catholic upbringing. Probably believes in redemption." Spencer says.

"Well, I believe in a lot of things." The four straighten up, the two women sharing sheepish looks. "Catholic, yes. Italian-American, 52 years. Strict upbringing, not so much. Now, the artwork, that's 15th century, original. Cost more than my first house. And as for the wall color, it's just a base coat. Painters will come in and finish tomorrow."