089. the apprenticeship

Bedelia watches Derek hit the softball, it going flying.

"Okay. You see my hips? See my hips? You swing right through, nice and easy." He tells Spencer. "All right, come on. You give it a try."

"It was just a ride to the airport. This wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I said I owed you one." Spencer says.

"Hey. You're the one who could've gotten your little girlfriend to give you the ride." Derek reasons.

"She was busy." Spencer frowns.

"You act like this is torture." Derek says. "You know, there are people who think this is fun."

"And he's not one of them. There's really nothing wrong with that. You're just... making the wrong person do it." Bedelia says.

"Believe it or not, most of my childhood sports memories aren't altogether pleasant." Spencer says.

"Reid, it's just one game." Derek says. "We need a body. You might not even have to play."

"Perfect. Can we go now?" Spencer asks, starting to leave, and Bedelia giggles.

"Reid." Derek stops him. "Just humor me? Take the bat and get up there and give it a try." Spencer looks at Bedelia who grins and gives him a double thumbs up. He sighs, taking the bat and going to the plate.

"You're gonna like this, kid. I promise." Derek assures, going to the ball launcher. "See it in here. Just relax. Here we go."

Spencer holds the bat up. Derek shoots a ball and Spencer swings, but misses.

"It's okay." Bedelia says.

"Okay, okay. First try. Keep your eye on the ball." Derek says.

"Gravity plus drag coefficient plug magnus-- I-I see what you're saying. If I can adjust the velocity of my swing--"

"No, what I'm saying is get out of your head. Just feel it."

"Feel it. Feel it."

"Yeah. Don't think. Just feel it."

"Feel it, baby." Bedelia claps.

"Just feel. Don't think, just feel." Spencer holds the bat up again. Derek laughs.

"Here it comes." He warns.

Spencer loudly grunts as he swings, but misses the ball.

"Reid, that's not feeling it." Derek says.

"I'm feeling like an idiot." Spencer says.

Bedelia rolls her lips into her mouth, trying not to laugh, not wanting to seem unsupportive. 

Derek's phone rings and he takes it out of his pocket.

"Well, today's your lucky day. We just got a case." Derek says.

"Yes." Spencer whispers in relief, putting the bat down. "Thank God." He smiles, walking away from the plate. Bedelia chuckles at his relief.

+++

"Last night in Miami, the body of Amanda Lopez was found in an alley." Penelope says. "She had been brutally beaten and suffocated."

"23 years old, originally from Tampa, ran away from her foster home when she was 16 years old." Derek says.

"Runaway, prostitute. She couldn't be more high risk." Blake says.

"And there was evidence of sexual assault, a lot of it." Penelope says.

"Occupational hazard." Rossi says. "No way to tell if our unsub is responsible for that."

"Beating and suffocation." Blake says. "So, he's a sadist."