061. lauren

"I got 4 names on the bottom of the list Prentiss gave us." Derek says, walking over with a small piece of green paper. "Luke Renault, Lawrence Riley, Lila Rafferty, Lyle Rogers."

"All with the initials L.R." Ashley says.

"The CIA uses cryptograms like that to assign to non-official cover agents working the same case." Hotch says.

"So do other foreign countries. These last 4 names are covers -- spies." Derek says.

"Wait." Penelope takes the paper he's holding. "No. This isn't right. Do you see this space? That shouldn't be here."

"Could it be a formatting error?" Spencer asks.

"No, this is a spreadsheet template. Formatting doesn't allow for this." Penelope says. "There's a missing name on here."

"It's another spy whose cover is L.R." Hotch says.

"Lauren Reynolds is dead." Spencer quietly says.

"What?" Hotch asks.

""Lauren Reynolds is dead."" He repeats. "Prentiss said that on a phone call 17 days ago. But her intonation wasn't surprise or grief. It was like a mantra, like she was reminding herself." He says, standing up. "Lauren Reynolds, L.R."

Hotch calls Emily.

"If Prentiss is the last name on that list, she's on Doyle's list, too." Ashley says.

"That explains her behavior the past month." Rossi says.

Hotch hears ringing from Emily's desk and opens a drawer. He finds her phone, gun, and badge.

"The secrets, the evasion." Rossi says.

"She's been biting her fingernails again, too." Spencer adds.

"Guys." Hotch calls, holding up Emily's stuff.

"She left her badge and gun? Why would she do that?" Derek asks.

"That doesn't make sense. Why run? We're her family. We can help." Spencer says.

"Doyle's killing families." Rossi says. "She's not married, not close to relatives. He was ready to wipe us out. She ran to protect us."

~ ~ ~

"She's a trained spy. She doesn't want to be found." Rossi says.

"She knows all of our tricks. We don't know any of hers." Derek says.

"All right, then how do we find her?" Penelope asks.

"Here's how. Ian Doyle is our unsub, Prentiss is our victim." Hotch says. "We profile their behavior and we treat it like any other case. Because terrorism isn't an area we specialize in, I've reached out to an expert from the state department, someone who can also shed light on Prentiss' past."

"Who?" Spencer asks.

"Her." Hotch says, looking towards the entrance of the bullpen. They all turn around to find JJ.

"Let's get to work." She announces.

+++

"Okay, so I talked to a friend from Langley." JJ says. "He couldn't give me Emily's full CIA history, but he could give me this." She says, pulling up a photo of a file. "She assumed the identity of Lauren Reynolds as part of a special task force called JTF-12."

"I heard about them." Rossi says. "They were profiling terrorists, weren't they?"

"Yeah, assembled after 9/11." JJ says. "CIA and western agencies contributed their best and brightest."