015. catching out

"So wait, she knew your name?" Spencer asks.

"I don't know how I could forget a face like hers." Derek says.

"You've been with so many girls that you can't remember all their names?" Spencer asks.

"Oh, come on, are you surprised?" Emily asks.

"This has never happened to me before." Derek says as the four walk to the conference room.

"It hasn't happened to me before either." Spencer says.

"Well, it can't happen to you. You have an eidetic memory." Emily says.

"Besides, you only got one name to remember." Derek teases. Spencer fake laughs making Derek laugh.

"Okay. Six victims have been killed in a series of burglar/homicides all over central California. In order... Bakersfield, Fresno, Chico, and, two nights ago, Alan and Brenda Paisley in Sacramento." JJ says.

"Big area. Are we sure it's the same unsub?" Rossi asks.

"His DNA was found in all the homes." JJ says.

"They hadn't connected it because he crossed jurisdiction lines." Hotch says.

"The head of the Sacramento field office has established a multi-agency task force and he wants us to run point." JJ says.

"Looks like we got a list of investigators on this one." Derek says.

"We'll streamline if we need to." Hotch says.

"You should know that, uh, they've already named him the "Highway 99 Killer."" JJ warns.

"We'll deal with that when we get there." Hotch says.

"He targets 1 to 2 person households. He kills the victims while they sleep." JJ says.

"Blunt force trauma with objects found at the home. Multiple bashes to the head." Spencer says.

"After he kills the victims, he ransacks the homes for valuables." JJ says.

"Which is not unusual for a nighttime burglary/homicide." Hotch says. "What's unique about this unsub is that after he kills them, apparently he sits down to dinner in their homes. They found his DNA all over the food and the table."

"Are these burglaries that turned into homicides or homicides that turned into burglaries?" Rossi asks.

"Between the two offenses, it seems the primary motivation is homicide. Otherwise, he would have just stolen the items and fled." Derek says.

"But he stays there for hours. He eats their food, he tries on their clothes, he showers, he even sleeps in their beds." JJ says.

"It's like Goldilocks became a serial killer." Emily comments.

"They've got plenty of DNA, but they found no fingerprints." JJ says.

"He doesn't take their cars. So, how does he get there?" Bedelia questions.

"No witness reports of strange cars on the street." JJ says.

"No prints, no gun, no noise, no car, no witnesses. This all adds up to prior experience." Rossi says.

"There's a record on him somewhere." Spencer says.

"And until we find it, he's moved on to another town." Hotch says.

"Which could be anywhere." Emily says.

+++

JJ, Bedelia, Hotch, and Spencer get to the station.