075. true genius

Bedelia gets to work early, carrying the small box of donuts and the two coffees. She puts the box on Spencer's desk, putting one of the coffees next to it.

Bedelia gets settled in at her desk, as she usually does, biting her lip with some anxiety as she waits for the certain man.

Bedelia starts working on a case file, almost missing as Spencer walks over, slowing down when he spots the things on his desk.

"What's that?" He frowns.

Bedelia looks up before following his finger to the box and coffee.

"Oh. It-- it's for you." She says, getting up. "Happy birthday." She smiles.

"You-- you remembered my birthday?" He asks.

"Wh-- ye-yeah. Yeah, why-- why would I forget it?" She asks.

"I don't know." He shrugs.

"Well, I-I didn't. Happy birthday."

Spencer smiles a little, practically able to feel his heart melt. He opens the box, eyes lighting up at the six chocolate frosted with sprinkles donuts.

"Your favorite donuts and your coffee with an excessive amount of sugar -- just how you like it." Bedelia says.

"Thank you, Delia." Spencer says, picking one of the donuts. He points to the box, sliding it closer to her.

"Oh, no. No, all yours." She says. "So, um... if-- if you were up for it and-- and if the team didn't have anything else planned, I thought maybe you'd wanna come over tonight? We-- we could order whatever food you want, watch what you want. Or go out to eat. Whatever you want."

"Thanks." Spencer smiles.

+++

Bedelia and Spencer are at her apartment and finished up their dinner, Spencer choosing Indian food.

"And now for dessert." Bedelia says.

"Dessert?" Spencer frowns, watching her disappear into the kitchen. Bedelia soon walks back out, holding a tray of cupcakes, a candle in one of them.

"There we go." Bedelia grins.

Spencer smiles, glancing at her, the woman too excited, cheering him up when she doesn't even know he needs it.

Spencer blows the candle out and Bedelia puts it on one of the plates she brought out.

"I'll be right back." Bedelia says.

"You didn't get me a gift, did you?" Spencer asks.

"...No." She mumbles.

"Delia." Spencer whines.

"What? It's your birthday. You're guaranteed one gift." Bedelia says, leaving the room.

Spencer sighs, grabbing one of the cupcakes. He smiles at the messy frosting, knowing Bedelia made them. His cheeks heat up, realizing how much she cares even after all they've been through lately.

He bites into the cupcake as he officially decides not to tell her that she's the only one who remembered what today was. He feels it'd break her heart more than his.

"Here we go." Bedelia walks in and is carrying a few gifts.

"You said one gift." Spencer says.

"I said you're guaranteed one gift. I never said I got you only one." Bedelia says, putting them on the coffee table.

"You really didn't have to. Thank you." Spencer tells her.

"You're welcome." She smiles. "C'mon, open them."