035. the performer

"The latest victim is Tara Farris, 20. She's the third victim in two weeks. All found on freeway off ramps by commuters." JJ says while she hands out the files.

"Well, he's not hiding them." Hotch says.

"An L.A. freeway during morning rush hour? He wants them found." Rossi says.

"Quickly." Derek adds.

"Well, they're still dressed. That minimizes the shock value." Emily says.

"Maybe he's concerned for them." Spencer says. "Think he wants them taken care of?"

"No signs of sexual assault on any of the victims." JJ says.

"Look how pale she is." Rossi says.

"All of them were severely hypovolemic. Tara had less than a pint of blood in her." JJ says.

"Look at this. The first two had more than three pints each." Spencer says. "If exsanguination is the goal, the unsub is definitely becoming more proficient."

"This is new. Tara's the only victim to have a written message." JJ says, showing the photo of Tara's arm.

""The liar."" Hotch reds.

""The" liar. That's strange, isn't it? Not a liar or just liar." Emily says.

"So what did you lie about, Tara?" Derek wonders.

All of the victims appear to have been strangled and then bled out through identical wounds in the throat." JJ says.

"Wait-- seriously, are those supposed to be fang marks?" Emily asks.

"All of the wounds on the victims were covered in saliva. Human saliva, as though--" JJ says.

"Someone drank their blood." Spencer says and JJ nods.

+++

They're on the jet and Rossi and JJ are sitting next to each other with Emily and Hotch across from them. Spencer and Bedelia are on the couch and Derek sits on the other side of Bedelia after getting a cup of coffee.

"So they've already set up a task force in Los Angeles." JJ says.

"This isn't their first serial case." Rossi says.

"You remember Detective Owen Kim?" JJ asks everybody but Rossi, Bedelia, and Emily.

"From the stalker case." Hotch says.

"You remember that case, don't you, Spence?" JJ teases.

"I do remember that case." Spencer says, awkwardly nodding.

"Yeah, you ever talk to, um, what, Lila anymore?" JJ asks.

"You know, I think we should probably focus on this case right now. It's a little more pertinent." Spencer says.

"Who?" Bedelia asks.

"No-nobody." Spencer stammers, gulping. "Morgan?"

"All right, tell us about blood drinkers, Reid." Derek says, hiding his amused smile.

"Yeah. Yep." Spencer nods. "Human blood consumption, or clinical vampirism, is known as Renfield's Syndrome. Named after the insect eating character in Bram Stoker's novel "Dracula."" He smiles.

"Are they sadists?" Emily asks.

"Not necessarily. Pain to the victim is usually only a byproduct. Blood is the focus." Spencer says. "Renfield's Syndrome is usually accompanied by varying levels of schizophrenia and occasionally more classic cannibalism if the condition evolves."