062. with friends like these...

Bedelia jogs over to the door when there's a knock on it, the woman expecting take out. She opens the door, freezing when she finds Spencer.

"Spence. Hey. Wha--"

"I'm sorry. I just... I couldn't..." He sniffles. "Could I spend the night?"

"Ye-yeah. Yeah, of course." Bedelia instantly nods. Spencer trudges into the apartment, dropping his satchel on the floor. Bedelia shuts the door, turning, only to be engulfed in a tight hug.

Bedelia freezes for a moment before hugging him back, one hand resting on his head. She ignores the pain in her chest as she hears him start to cry.

+++

They're in the round table room and Penelope made cupcakes to celebrate Ashley's graduation from the academy.

"Congratulations, Agent Seaver." Hotch tells her.

"Thank you." She says, shaking his hand.

"Who made the cupcakes?" Rossi asks, fist bumping Ashley.

"I did." Penelope says.

"Thank you all for coming to my graduation. It meant a lot." Ashley says as everybody sits down.

"Let's get started." Hotch says.

"Okay. We're going to Portland, Oregon, and it's not for a Dead Moon concert." Penelope says. "So, Jay Johnson, a DJ, was cutting through an alley on his way home after leaving a club when he was bludgeoned by a pipe and then stabbed 31 times. His watch, his cell, and his computer were stolen. That was 2 days ago."

"Now, early this morning, Karen Heywood, a 30 year old nurse, she died during a home invasion. She was stabbed 40 times, but first she was bludgeoned with weapons of opportunity."

"8 different ones, to be exact." Derek says.

"That's too many weapons for one person." Rossi says.

"There was a left and a right handed killer according to the M.E. report." Penelope says.

"Yeah, but 8 different weapons." Rossi says.

"So we're looking for a group." Derek says.

"It seems that way. And the left handed wounds were deeper than the right." Hotch says.

"Maybe a woman was involved?" Spencer suggests.

"Or a weak man." Ashley adds.

"Anything taken from the house?" Hotch asks.

"According to a neighbor, just some random stuff -- a computer, some jewelry, a framed picture of a lily." Penelope says.

"And pawnable items. What do we have, serial killing crooks?" Derek asks.

"Sounds like a musical." Rossi comments.

"Similar victimology -- young professionals killed 3 miles apart." Hotch says.

"Is there a gang situation in Portland?" Ashley asks.

"Minimal. This seems more like desperate people in need of quick cash." Spencer says.

"Why kill them if it's just for money?" Ashley asks.

"That's what we have to find out." Rossi says.

"And we've got 8 hours till nightfall. Let's go." Hotch says.

+++

"So Mr. Johnson exits the nightclub through the back door to get to his car." Spencer says.

"Maybe one unsub can watch from over there and the other from back there." Ashley says.