030. nameless, faceless

Spencer, Bedelia, and JJ are in the house with the detective who called them and are waiting on the rest of the team.

Bedelia and Spencer are both going off of two hours of sleep and copious amounts of coffee. They stayed up late talking during and after eating, the two falling asleep on Bedelia's couch.

"Oh, you guys are already here." JJ says. "You guys remember Detective Walker?" She motions to the man.

"Thanks for being here." He tells them. "I understand none of you are working on much rest."

"Who's the victim?" Rossi asks.

"His name is Nelson Martinez. From what we can figure, he answered his door, was forced into the apartment at gunpoint, and then shot in the chest. It was all pretty sloppy." Walker says.

"No disrespect, but I don't understand why you need us here." Derek says.

"Two days ago, a local doctor named Tom Barton found a note addressed to him at the hospital. It said the person was planning to kill his son. If Dr. Barton tried to keep his boy hidden, one person would die every day in his place." Walker says.

"And you think this is connected?" Emily asks.

"The note is signed L.C." Spencer says.

"Yesterday we had another victim. Multiple gunshots outside the apartment. The shooter wrote L.C. in white chalk next to the body." Walker says.

"Now, unless Dr. Barton puts his son in harm's way, we're going to keep having a victim a day." Spencer says.

"Where's Barton now?" Rossi asks.

"He's at home. He doesn't know about this victim yet." JJ says.

"Where's Hotch?" Emily asks.

"He's not answering his cell. I assume it's on vibrate." JJ says. "He'll get the message when he wakes up."

"Try him again. He can meet us at Barton's house." Rossi says.

+++

"Dr. Barton, where is your son right now?" Emily asks.

"Um, I asked him to stay up in his room." Dr. Barton says.

"And what did you tell him?" JJ asks.

"I told him that there was a threat against me at the hospital. I told him the police didn't take it seriously but that they wanted me to stay here for a few days and that I wanted to have him with me." Barton says.

"And Jeffrey's mother?" Rossi asks.

"She died when he was 10. Breast cancer. Would someone really hurt Jeffrey?" He asks.

"Two people are dead already. Whoever sent that note is obviously serious." Rossi says.

"And if I don't let Jeffrey out of the house, then another person's gonna die?" Barton asks.

"Right now we have to assume that he will keep killing." Derek says.

"My son is 15 years old." Barton says.

"I understand." Derek says.

"I cannot put him in danger." Barton says.

"We are not asking you to. And even if you were willing, we couldn't send him to school knowing he would endanger every student in the building." Emily says.

"What we need to do now is go over everything we know, piece together how this person fits into your life." Rossi says.

"Well, I-- I-- I can't think of anyone who would want to kill Jeffrey." Barton says.