027. a shade of gray

"After the first two abductions, Cherry Hill compiled a list of registered sex offenders in Camden County. There are 439 within a 30 mile radius of where the boys were taken." JJ informs.

"439?" Bedelia asks and JJ nods.

"They have been knocking on doors, conducting interviews. They haven't been able to come up with anything." JJ says.

"They should have called us in earlier. There are a lot of these men we can eliminate right away." Hotch says.

"Right." Spencer says.

"No one new to the area. This unsub knows these neighborhoods. That takes time. Victims are three boys, so cross off anyone who targets females." Hotch says.

"We can eliminate anyone whose preferential age is over 7 or under 11." Spencer says.

"These boys look nothing alike so discount suspects who have a very specific type. If the victims have only brown or blonde hair, they're off the list." Hotch says. "Our unsub's taste is more broad."

"It looks like his preference is based more on age instead of physical characteristics." Spencer says.

"Let's make special pile for more organized offenders, anyone who's been arrested for stalking, uh, breaking and entering, burglary." Hotch says.

"How are we doing so far?" Spencer asks.

"With these parameters, I can probably cross off half the names." JJ says.

"Good. Let's keep going." Hotch says.

+++

"We've narrowed the list to 5 men." Hotch informs Rossi and Derek as they get back.

"Already?" Lancaster asks.

"Registered sex offender Hugh Rollins, 43, lived in Camden County his whole life, in and out of foster care since he was a toddler, and acquired quite the nice rap sheet." Spencer says.

"What's his connection to the victims?" Derek asks.

"Two years ago he got a steady job installing TVs." Bedelia informs.

"Have any of our families purchased a new TV?" Emily asks.

"The first two did. Garcia found something else. Rollins had no cell or bank activity on the days the boys were abducted." JJ says.

"We haven't been able to connect Rollins to Kyle yet." Hotch says.

"So, what, we're gonna wait for more evidence?" Derek asks.

"No, there isn't time. We have sufficient probable cause." Hotch says.

"Let's go pick him up." Rossi says.

+++

Rossi, Bedelia, and Spencer are at the Murphy house and investigating.

"If he came in through the basement, this would have been his second flight of stairs." Rossi says as the three go upstairs.

"So Kyle's is the first room he comes to." Spencer says. They put gloves on and go into Kyle's room. The room is a mess, toys, clothes, and books all over the floor.

"This wasn't a quiet struggle." Spencer says. "He probably knocked Kyle unconscious."

"Then carried him back downstairs." Rossi says.

"What's through there?" Spencer nods to the door.

"Danny's room." Bedelia answers.

"It's interesting." Spencer says as they walk through the shared bathroom and into Danny's room. "Another few feet and he would have found Danny." He says. "Danny's far more age appropriate for Rollins' preference. He's closer to the first two victims than Kyle is."